• Welcome to Malta Fishing Forum.

Garmin 178c sounder

Started by Malcolm X, June 18, 2007, 21:21:34 CET

Previous topic - Next topic

Malcolm X

Hi i have a gps 178c sounder that i bought from America through ebay last year.the problem is that when i was at sea about 50 mts from shore on the map  marked that i was on land.Can anyone tell me if i have someting wrong.Other people told me that maybe if i try it again it would be ok because of satelite updates.
2011 Marinello 17fisherman selva 80hp efi

skip

Satellite updates yes, but also you need to make sure you have selected the correct base location. Give medcomms a call 21335521 and ask them to advise you, or follow the below. Just make sure you are stationary when you start.

POWER ON
PRESS MENU TWICE FOR MAIN MENU
Press Up/Down until GPS Is highlighted
Press Up/Down and select initialise position
Select approx position on map, within 200 miles
then press enter

OR choose auto locate instead of initialise position and wait around 5 mins minimum

You can download the manual from here http://www8.garmin.com/manuals/GPSMAP178CSounder_OwnersManual.pdf

Skip

Malcolm X

Hi skip thanks for your help i visited madcoms a month ago and he just told me that maybe i have problems with the gps (they did not help me allot).I will try to do what you told me because i read something on the manual (but i don't like to read allot).I wonted to ask if it is worthit buying the Malta marine sd card?.
2011 Marinello 17fisherman selva 80hp efi

skip

I can't say I've ever seen the map but I would imagine depending on the price it would be a good buy. Maybe you can check it out and see it working.