• Welcome to Malta Fishing Forum.

Bilge pump

Started by Shaftbomb, June 16, 2012, 15:30:08 CET

Previous topic - Next topic

Shaftbomb

My bilge pump on my boat is not that powerful and on 95% of the times i use it, it somehow sucks air and does not pump the water out.  I decided to replace it.  Any opinions  of a reliable brand?  Any idea why this is my second bilge pump that is giving me problems with what i think is air in the piping system ?

bahri

My bilge pump is a Jabso which I got from International Marine in Gzira. It is of the self-priming type and never gave me any trouble! Make sure you have the right size of pipe and the riser loop (see  http://www.yachtsurvey.com/bilge_pumps.htm) to avoid the water coming back in.
GL

skip

Rule make some well known pumps. Check your intake suction hose isn't cracked and is of the reInforced type that won't squeeze closed.

Shaftbomb

Thank  you guys.  I think i will purchase a Rule pump.  The online reviews about them are great.

shanook

shaft if u look around on ebay u can get one for a good value i bought one and i think it cost some 40 euro for a 1100gph not that u will ever get that much LOL
but better to have a higher volume one than u think u need or else better still get two and place them close to where u think water accumulates, if one fails the  other steps in, all u have to do is place the auto swtich a bit higher than the other usually around 150/200mm.there are some new (well new for malta) that have an auto switch incorporated have a good look. cheers