• Welcome to Malta Fishing Forum.

Qawra: week commencing 28th October

Started by ianpick, October 21, 2012, 16:00:50 CET

Previous topic - Next topic

ianpick

Hello all

I'm coming to Malta for the first time on the 28th October.
I'll be bringing a Shimano travel rod and fixed spool reel.
I am a "hardened" beach angler from the UK and am looking forward to catching a few fish while I am in Malta.
I am not worried about size, I'll be putting eveything back, but do enjoy catching as many species as possible.
Can anyone give me a few pointers as to what terminal tackle to bring.
I have a reel loaded with 20lb braid but can strip that off for 10lb mono.
I'll probably buy most of the stuff I need when there so if anyone can point me towards a tackle shop as well please.
I'd like to know wether I should fish on the bottom or float fish, I don't do a lot of spinning but would give it a go.
Kind regards

Ian

skip

Hi Ian, never done it myself but I beleive (stand to be corrected) that you'll probably have more luck fishing on the bottom than float fishing.

I would leave your braid and then adjust your leader (mono or fluoro) to your needs. Closest tackle shop to Qawra would be Ta'Bormla on the main street in Mosta (10 mins up the road), or send a PM to OKUMA-1976 if you want some specific stuff, perhaps you can arrange.

Another 5-8 mins down the road you will find a larger tackle Shop, Misterfish in Iklin just off the main road.

malvizzu

You can also shop at Aquatica in St Paul's Bay, which is a few minutes away from Qawra.
Fastfisher 14 Open powered by Evinrude E-TEC 50HP & Johnson 8HP

ianpick

Thanks for the replies. I'm looking forward to going to Malta and will post a report of mycatches when I get back.