• Welcome to Malta Fishing Forum.

Trolling speeds

Started by Icom, September 10, 2013, 13:53:52 CET

Previous topic - Next topic

Icom

Can anyone highlight trolling speeds for different target fish please?  Lure speed and live bait speed also.

Many thanks
Arthur
Im a newbie so be patient and teach me the way!

bigboy

4-5 kts is ideal for all kinds of trolling

benri

for live bait approx 1.5 - 2 knots or even less
I'd rather be fishing.....

Icom

1.5 - 2 knots for live bait trolling!!!  I need an auxiliary engine for that.  My engine just engaged into forward already makes 3.3 knots on average!

Thanks for the replies

skip

Quote from: Icom on September 10, 2013, 14:38:38 CET
1.5 - 2 knots for live bait trolling!!!  I need an auxiliary engine for that.  My engine just engaged into forward already makes 3.3 knots on average!

Thanks for the replies

That's what trolling valves are for on the bigger diesel engines :)

Otherwise another option is to add drag with a drogue but its not very fuel efficient.

On the other hand you should have a nice trolling speed of 6-7 knots for Albacore, Tuna etc

Granitu

and sometimes speed is even lower skip.... sometimes trolling is done in the .5 knot and 1 knot region

In my opinion the 1.5 - 2 knot trolling speed is mostly suitable for garfish as bait... and expect to change bait every 2-3 hours at this speed
Good season so far.....

Icom

By the way now that drogues have been mentioned. I deployed a drogue for the first time 2 days ago but I cant understand why the drogue never set infront of the bow.  It kept on coming to the side of the boat.  I thought that no matter what the weather conditions where, the drogue drags against the sea  and brings the boat's bow lined up with it.  Had the tow line wrap around my lower unit which was a bit frustrating to say the least!  What am I doing wrong?

Moonwalker

Has anyone here used an electric motor for trolling like the MinnKota? They are quite expensive and don't know how they work in our seas.
Petecraft 20 - twin Mariner 150HP EFI