• Welcome to Malta Fishing Forum.

Need some help

Started by JimMamo, March 12, 2015, 18:14:50 CET

Previous topic - Next topic

JimMamo

Hi Guys,

My name is Jimmy. I'm from Maltese origin and have just moved to Malta to open my own business after living abroad all my life. I love fishing! I try to go fishing at least 3 or 4 times a week after work and sometimes on weekends. The problem is that I really don't catch much :) to be honest, the last 4 times I've gone I caught 3 sargi and 1 squid.

If I try to catch Sargi, I'll only get really small fish and rarely get a decent sized one. I also do most of my fishing on the pier in St. Paul's bay. My setup is paternostra but I still get stuck on rocks or weeds very often. How can I avoid this problem? I also use worms, shrinp and even chicken at time. With worms I get more bites and catch small fish but with chicken I get bigger sargi for some reason... ???

Lately I've been going out to catch Squid from 6.30 to 8 because I actually catch squid from time to time.  I also try to catch Barracuda but so far....nothing.

My questions are:
1) What is the best setup to avoid getting stuck in weeds or rocks?
2) are there good locations to catch decent sized sargi or other fish for that matter?
3) any advice on catching barracuda? I have lures that the cudas ignore completely.

for those who reply, I really appreciate your help and looking forward to reading your replies.

All the best

Kevin G

interesting thing is the chicken bait, do you bait it raw or cooked?  regarding the set up I am not aware of any other setups since I usually fish with long lines from shore. barracudas try using live bait such as bouge or small mullet.
The Sea Sweeper :D

JimMamo

I take a raw chicken breast and cut it up into small thin slices that look like worms. then I put salt and a bit of sugar on it to dry it out overnight. It'll end up being kinda rubbery and will hold on the hook really well. Hope it helps, try it out and let me know.

Granitu

Quote from: JimMamo on March 12, 2015, 22:06:31 CET
I take a raw chicken breast and cut it up into small thin slices that look like worms. then I put salt and a bit of sugar on it to dry it out overnight. It'll end up being kinda rubbery and will hold on the hook really well. Hope it helps, try it out and let me know.

Chicken i have tried it sometime and it is a fairly good substitute to the imperial ragworm (hniex ta l-imperjal)

What I found more effective particulary for huge specimen is cheddar cheese.
Good season so far.....

JimMamo

Really?!! I'm gonna give that a try. Does it stay on the hook well? Thanks for the advice.

Granitu

Quote from: JimMamo on March 13, 2015, 13:10:16 CET
Really?!! I'm gonna give that a try. Does it stay on the hook well? Thanks for the advice.

There is a way how to hook cheddar in cubes - It is suggested it is just melted a bit just enough to become rubbery and with the help of elastic line it is truly a deadly bait.

The raw chicken is also good for seabreams, and so is pieces of a cow's hearth.
Good season so far.....

JimMamo

Thanks a lot for the advice, I'm gonna try it out.