• Welcome to Malta Fishing Forum.

Spinning setup help

Started by Chrismassa, July 21, 2015, 09:46:02 CET

Previous topic - Next topic

Chrismassa

Hi guys,
I am going to start spinning again. I was thinking about buying the daiwa laguna rod for light to medium spinning. I am not interested in jigging. What reel should i buy to match with this rod and doesnt become unbalanced?
Thanks a lot and tight lines

Chrismassa

Anyone on and can help me? Thanks and tight lines

redhead

reel choice depends very much on the budget !
Jig Harder --->

Chrismassa

redhead

with a 100Euro budget, a Penn Battle or a Penn Fierce would be a good choice. Even better if for maybe a little more you could buy a Shimano Stradic in the 4000/5000 sizes. Even a discontinued model of the Stradic would be very good like a Sradic FI or FJ. But always buy new in these price ranges and never a used reel
Jig Harder --->

Chrismassa

Thanks a lot for your help. Tight lines

Chrismassa

Do you know where can i find a penn reel and how much does it cost pls? Thanks

redhead

strictly stick to the models I mentioned since not all Penn reels are of the same quality/price ratio. Locally without mentioning names, you might find the reels at various fishing shops. Obviously they are also available on the net on sites like ebay, amazon, etc.....................    
Jig Harder --->

Chrismassa

Going to angler centre next friday to see what they can offer. I wish to get a daiwa. Anyone know a good daiwa rod that i can find in angler centre and reel? Thx

redhead

keep in mind that if you buy a Daiwa mag sealed reel you have no way to service the reel in Malta. And a mid/low range Daiwa reel will require service minimum every year in Salt water use. Mag fluid is not available for sale. it can only be found at official Daiwa service centres. It is not worth sending a reel that costs less than Euro 100 for service overseas because of the high costs involved.

And do not be fooled in believing that Mag Sealed reels can be serviced without Mag fluid. Only high end reels like the Saltiga and Catalina can be serviced without the need to change the mag fluid for a limited number of times.
Jig Harder --->

Chrismassa

Redhead what do you suggest than? Where should i go? I went to mister fish yesterday. Saw a spinning rod xzoga. Was 169€. Cant afford that much for sure. Silvio at angler centre told me that i can get a set with 100€.. My budget is 200€ so i whould get better rod and reel. Thanks

redhead

I already gave you my suggestions regarding the reel in the above posts. Silvio is a good guy and if I remember well he used to sell penn reels. There are also other shops which sell penn reels. As for the rod.........sorry but I am not in that market so I have no idea what's best at the moment but surly an Xzoga would be nice !
Jig Harder --->

Chrismassa

Bought a daiwa crossfire rod with a daiwa megaforce 3000 reel. Thanks for your help. Im happy with the setup. Tight lines