• Welcome to Malta Fishing Forum.

How to connect and charge a battery with a suzuki 9.9

Started by Lamacca, April 14, 2008, 17:04:33 CET

Previous topic - Next topic

Lamacca

As per title, I got a 9.9 suzuki outboard and i would like to be able to charge a small battery with it . anybody knows how it is to be connected to the 3 wires available inside the outboard cap . Do i need to attach some rectifier regiulator or cut out ?

Thanks for any suggestions
Johan
13 Foot Seastar 400 (bahri kind of)
15hp Suzuki
3.5hp Seagull 40+ Longshaft  (Yes it works , yes it leaks oil)
3.0hp Seagull 40  Longshaft 60 years and it's my best one !
1.5hp Seagull 40- extra short shaft
5 hp Gutbrod Short shaft Air cooled.

Lamacca

It seems nobody has a complete reply on the subject maybe you could give me some minor details please ? like  does the unit make AC current which needs to be rectified like an alternator or DC  which needs a regulator cut out like the ancient lucas rb106 ? please any help would be really appreciated
15hp Suzuki

skip

I would take a guess and say that you have Positive, Negative and voltage/current sense being the third wire. That controls the alternator cut out.

Lamacca

Could be , the colors are Red , Red and yellow , and Yellow. Strange thing is when i start the engine and test the wires with a bulb . The bulb lights up no matter what configuration i try. Tomorrow I ll test it with a megger(voltmeter).Also when i try from any of the wires to the engine block which i assume is the ground the bulb does not light up.
15hp Suzuki

skip

Try these and do a search in google but it seems if the motor is not electric start it can't be done.

battery charging from outboard

http://www.yandina.com/TrollBattery.htm
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070726141145AALES6C

busumark

i had a nissan 18hp you could light a small bulb with its wires but i had to buy a rectifier/alternator to charge the battery. it wasn't an electric model

Lamacca

Well the Suzuki 9.9 as stated has 3 wires which give AC on 3 phases . Voltage ranging from 8 - 40v depending on engine revs.

I attached a rectifier to change the voltage from Ac > Dc so i got a + and - output at voltage ranging from 10>30  depending on engine revs.

Still there was no way of regulating the current with a conventional car regulator which does so either by bringing a resistence in and out of phase or by  changing the current through a coul in the alternator ( not our case as it would have ben wire no 4)

From zarb the Factory rectifier& regulator would have cost me euro 140+VT.
I bought an OEM Rectifier regulator unit for 100 euro from erectric.

Could have probably have found it cheaper from the net but at least this way if it does not work i can go and grumble at eric which suggested i buy that.

End of story got +12 stable
15hp Suzuki

skip

Interesting how this ended up and good to know it can be done for around 100 Euro's. Thanks for keeping the thread updated with what you ended up doing. If you have any pictures of the device that would be great.