• Welcome to Malta Fishing Forum.

S registered fishing limitations

Started by markmalta, September 23, 2016, 14:19:16 CET

Previous topic - Next topic

markmalta

Hi all,

was looking around in the forum for some info, on what an s registered boat can fish for and got more confused 😀 For sure no surface long lines for swordfish etc.. But what about a small surface longline for saddled bream/sargi etc?  I am in a dilemma on what i should register my boat.. S or mfc.. Mfc seems to be too expensive! Any ideas? Thanks
"Lady Ana" Buccaneer 120 powered by 4 stroke 8hp Selva

markmalta

bahri

markmalta

So I have a nice mini saga going on right now.. I did contact fisheries, he told me the limitations on the MFC, but on the "S", that is drafted by Transport Malta, so they have to answer.. I asked him what is going on with the MFC and the S, he had no idea, and no idea what is gonna happen in the future! Abyss...

refer to the below:

Dear Mr. Borg

Kindly note that S registered boats do fall under the remit of Transport Malta but regarding fishing regulations you have to contact the Fisheries.

Regards,

Elizabeth Said

Clerical Officer

Transport-Malta-Logo

Tel: (356) 22914000

Email: elizabeth.a.said@transport.gov.mt

Sent: Friday, September 30, 2016 12:32 PM
To: Info at Transport
Subject: Re: S registered boats

Dear Ms.Said,

I was under the impression that 'S" registered boats fell under Transport Malta?

Regards,

Mark Borg

From: Said Elizabeth at Transport <elizabeth.a.said@transport.gov.mt> on behalf of Info at Transport <info.tm@transport.gov.mt>
Sent: Friday, September 30, 2016 12:30 PM
To: 'Mark Borg'
Cc: Info at Transport
Subject: RE: S registered boats

Dear Mr. Borg

Kindly contact Fisheries Department regarding fishing on the below email infofisheries.msdec@gov.mt

Regards,

Elizabeth Said

Clerical Officer

Transport-Malta-Logo

Tel: (356) 22914000

Email: elizabeth.a.said@transport.gov.mt

Sent: Friday, September 30, 2016 12:25 PM
To: Info at Transport
Subject: S registered boats

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am in the process of buying a new boat, and I have some queries in regards to the registration. I am planing to use to boat for light fishing and leisure (12 feet boat). I would like to know what are the fishing limitations on the "S" registered boats. I am confused between the mfc registration and the "S" registration. Can I fish with the "S" registration or I have to register under the "MFC"? I tried asking other boat owners and on local forums, but it seems confusions reigns on this subject. I would be great to have one clear answer from Transport Malta on this Matter.

Can a boat with an "S" register fish?

If yes, what are the limitations of fishing gear, spots and range?

I thank you for your time, and I am really hoping for a reply!

Kind Regards,

Mark Borg

lazyfisherman

As far as I know Transport Malta is only responsible for registration of the vessel and issues related to navigation - i.e that you obey the laws related to how you conduct your boat. 

It is not within Transport Malta's remit to check what you are fishing for and how you fish. As far as I know the limitations put on MFC are related to safety equipment depending on how far out you will be fishing.  In terms of fishing methods and what you can catch (minimum sizes etc) it is the country's fishing regulations that apply. It is these regulations that specify what fishing methods can only be used by MFA and MFB boats and therefore cannot be used by amateurs (whether MFC or S). However it is still Fisheries which oversees fishing in general - S registered boats could apply for a recreational tuna fishing licence but this is still obtained from fisheries and it is fisheries not TM which will deal with you if you fish illegally

I think that as things stand now there is no real difference between MFC and S in terms of fishing techniques that can be used but I stand to be corrected.

felic

Everybody is saying the in the near future ' S ' registered boats will no longer be licensed to fish. But who knows what??