Almost managed to land a bonito!

Started by sargu xih, December 01, 2008, 13:14:45 CET

Previous topic - Next topic

LapsiBoy

Sargu Xih...I think what probably happened 99.9% was that a sawrella was caught and you didnt realize and the bonito caught the sawrella...A good thing to do is take an extra rod with you and bait a whole live sawrell on and  either use a running float or else i would suggest tying a balloon on and let it drift out...tie the ballon at the depth you want to fish and you'l know if you have a bite because the balloon will burst or you see it moving harshly...Always remember to tie the rod to something solid and leave the drag a bit open because you cant tell what can happen..like this you'll have much a greater chance of landing a bonito ..and as freeman said it woulndt be a bad idea if you carry a gaf around with you..when fishing always expct the unexpected mate ;) :) Good luck hope you  land a big one hehe

SPITEC

Did you ever try this method lapsi? It's new for me but I think it's a good idea.
FISHING IS THE BEST HOBBY AND IT'S GREAT FOR RELAXING

LapsiBoy

I have tried it and caught a lampuka once...But the places i go fishing they do it alot because it takes no effort and you just leave it there !

Aab131

This summer I saw it being used quite alot, but from boat. As regards fishing for bonito on hand line(from boat), my friend uses a 1Ltr empty bottle as a float. He has found it quite effective. 

suffrun

one other question which might sound silly, at what depth was the running float set? was it near the surface?

sargu xih

I set it so the hook is just hanging above the seabed.  It all depends where you're fishing though.  Where I go I always had more success fishing deep.
Sargu Xih

Freeman

This morning I was passing by one of my fishing spots and decided to spin for a short time, I always carry a rod and an xrap in my car, I saw 1 person fishing with 3 rods using running float, I asked if he cought anything and he said he cought 1 bonito and 2 cudas, I didn't see the fish but he's a regular there and i've seen him catch many fish. He was fishing with live bait which he was catching from there, either lacci or voparelli, not sure. As for me I spend less than 30 minutes fishing, landed a small bonito 1kg range, and than got my lure taken away by another fish, didn't see it at all but i suspect it was a cuda as it wasent a powerfull fish, not sure how he managed to cut a fireline braid but he did. Oh and the bonito was realeased aswell, not a clean place to eat your fish from. That was my only lure so I headed home.

ramio

Pity for the lure, atleast you had some fun. Well done for the release back of the fish, that is what we are trying to encourage.
Can't wait to go fishing

suffrun

SPITEC

Prosit freeman for the CATCH and release
FISHING IS THE BEST HOBBY AND IT'S GREAT FOR RELAXING

Freeman

It's not a big deal really, u'd have to hate your cats if you try to feed them fish from there, let alone eat them yourself so it's either kill for nothing or set it back maybe you'll catch it again.

bigboy

Were you spinning from ras hanzir freeman ?

Freeman

barracuda02

Ras Hanzir isn t accessible any more am I right?I used to go there often.Last time i went was surrounded with a wire mesh.At night i loved to spin for cudas there ,since the sea was high lighted with a flood light.
Barracuda catcher

camkev

We are going there by boat and still no catches >:( Trolling in the port for hours...for nothing..qed naqta qalbi issa :P
Fishing,fishing ,fishing thats all i think about.