• Welcome to Malta Fishing Forum.

Cairns Fishing Trip 2007

Started by twoutes, November 12, 2007, 04:56:13 CET

Previous topic - Next topic

twoutes

Hi Guys. Sorry for my absence from this forum. Since l arrived back from my Malta Holiday l have been up to my neck in work. Also, preparing for my latest trip in Cairns. I'll fill you in on this trip as it was a BEAUTY. I finally caught my 'Jackpot' Black Marlin weighing in at 1040lb. On the first day we had a double hook up with one fish of around 950lb and the smaller one around 500lb. We also caught a heap of tuna this year, with most of them being Big Eye Tuna. One of the high lights for me was swimming with a 14 meter long Whale Shark in 2000 meters of water with a large school of 50lb tuna under us. It truley was an Ultimate fishing trip.

We're here for a good time...Not a long time

twoutes

The 1140lb Black marlin was caught on a 'Blue Dog Junior Lure' It took 2 1/2 hours to bring to the boat, and unfortunatly died. We secured it and bought it aboard. We were 80 miles out of Cairns on the Sea mounts, but luckily had the boat 'Ultimate lady' out there with us and weighed it on their crane.

skip

Holy crap Joe! That's a serious fish, also looks like you're on a serious boat. What was the hook size on that lure and were you using 120/130lbs outfits?

Did anyone manage to get any video of the fight?

Skip

twoutes

We had a great time on the Great Barrier Reef, and rafted up with a mother ship and other boats a few times. The Tuna kept us buisy in between Marlin bites, and l caught a few of them on a short hand line just for fun when we raised the whole school to the back of the boat while 'cubbing'. WHAT A BLAST!!!!

I'm looking forward to your comments and questions guys.

Also check out a couple of film clips l posted on UTUBE. you can find them under.
'Chasing Black Marlin in Cairns'.and 'Chasing Black Marlin in Cairns II.'

Hope you can find them and please leave a comment.

twoutes

G'day Nick. How have you been mate? Yes we caught it on 130lb outfit from the game chair. THe boat is MoanaIII Custom built machine for Cairns Black Marlin. Very comfortable inside to with aircon' bathromm toilets etc.... Wew lived on it for five days.And yes l got heaps of good footage mate. I'll be putting bits and peices of it on UTube for everyone to see.

Granitu

congratulations nice fish and a really nice nice both shame i can't go fisihing right now because of my guitar exams....... :'(
Good season so far.....

busumark

nice fish. i go fishing everytime the weather is good but i dream everyday to catch one of those. dream on

twoutes

All l can say is that Dreams can come true. I remember when l was 8 years old watching 'Bob Dyer' on ' Pick a Box' on the television, he used to show his game fishing trips. and one day showed a picture of a big black marlin he caught. I was only 8 and told my dad that one day l waill catch a fish like that. He smiled at me and said "Why not"

shanook

We caught a swordfish of 24Kg and we were out of this world with joy imagine how u must have felt twoutes.Well done mate may u catch a few dozen more.
The more pics u post the more we enjoy it. As you know here in the Med its extremely difficult to catch such fish.
WELL DONE

visa

That,s not a fish thats a monster, well done have tried fishing in the carabeean but all i caught was two big barracudas of about 5kgs each. and i thought that was good. Prosit tas sew
RASCALA 24ft. with DF225 hp SUZUKI v6 4 stroke

DJS

Wow....well done Joe an impressive fish indeed! Bet your arms were pretty tired after a 2.5 hour fight. What sort of line and hook size do you use to catch such a monster?
19 ft Galeon Galia with 140 hp Tohatsu

twoutes

Hi Guys!!! Thanks for all your kind words. Shanook, l would love to catch a sword fish let alone a 24kg. Well Done. I would really love to give that a go the next time l'm in Malta hopefully in a couple of years.
Visa, yes it is a monster. You should have seen it when it was under the surface...it looked nearly twice as big.Travelling to the Carabean must have been a thrill and to catch any fish while on holiday is a buzz, like when l caught my tuna with Nick. It was a real special moment. DJS. Too bad we didin't catch up while l was in Malta. I bought with me heaps of footage on fighting and gearing up for marlin. Maybe next time. We use Penn 2 speed 130lb outfits. spooled with Dacron except for the last 150 meters, which is Monofiliment, which acts as a shock absorber. We then have about 6 metres of 600lb leader to a 600lb clip then our baited or lure rig about anothe 1.5 meters. The hooks are not that large but are very heavy gaug. Number 6/0 Bait circle hooks, which are about 75mm long and 55mm wide.

twoutes

Hi Guys. I just posted another Film clip on You Tube. See if you can find it.

Its called 'Twoutes Cairns Whale Shark & big eye Tuna'

Enjoy.

Robert

Very well done! Can't imagine having something like that tugging on a line  :o

Quote from: twoutes on November 12, 2007, 04:56:13 CET
One of the high lights for me was swimming with a 14 meter long Whale Shark in 2000 meters of water with a large school of 50lb tuna under us. It truley was an Ultimate fishing trip.

To all the other spearos on the forum: this place looks good for us....when we going? ;D
Man will never be able to stop time but he can get very close by freediving.

twoutes

You would truely have the best time in your life!!!!!!!