• Welcome to Malta Fishing Forum.

Lowrance Structurescan 2

Started by skip, October 16, 2012, 13:59:45 CET

Previous topic - Next topic

skip

Any forum guys using the Lowrance Structurescan, LSS-2??

Their Downscaning images look great and reckon for targeting bottom predators in shallower water it's a pretty amazing device, though I guess forget using it in deep water.

Lowrance have also released the Gen2 Touch which currently seems to only be available in 7, 9 and 12 inch screens but makes a lot of sense on the water.

Granitu

Skip, I used it in Malta and outside of malta.

It is a very effective tool but it is meant really for fresh water applications

It suffers a lot i n terms of detail when you go beyond 50m. This is not a fabricated scan like humminbird. However, It is a really cool tool for trolling. You can go to 100m, but expect to lose detail.

What impressed me is the level of detail. when it comes to shallow water. However, you need some serious battery power, ideally deep cycle to use it as it uses a lot of power. When I will be re-installing it, I will be introducing photovoltaic panels to help on the battery charge - the stress on the boat alternator was something that is a downside. May I point out that you need a separate processing unit for this.

In my opinion, the downscan imaging is the future of sonars. It is an evolving technology not yet perfected.
Good season so far.....

skip

thanks for the feedback/ I'm guessing deep cycle/PV for the smaller engines that don't have much in the way of an alternator? Coz it only shows a max current drain of 0.75A

EmicMalta

another problem of the Lss2 is the transducer. It s too big to install it on the back of the boat and one needs to tilt up the engine by a certain degree. When I tried it on mine, it came up to have the engine with the propeller too much tilted up, with the result that even the boat keeps up. Now they came out with a transducer that goes trough hull but one needs to make a hole :(

Aslo I heard that they are doing another transducer much smaller with more efficency. Better wait a little bit more. I think now they understood that with that transducer a lot of people could nt install it

skip

Good info Emic as it happens this morning I came across a review where the person was commenting on the same thing saying his outboard was blocking part of the signal. Perhaps they have designed this transom mount transducer for Shaft drive boats, a thru-hull tends to give the best results but like you not all want to go down that route and on smaller boats with double bottoms it can be a real hassle.

I've seen some boat builders starting to build special pocket box sections that allow in hull transducers to be fitted as they touch the bottom skin of the boat, not the double bottom. Talking about double bottoms most are not completely water tight at all especially in the bildge area making you feel reassured for nothing.

busumark

if the double bottom is not filled with foam its only use is only for self drain and for cosmetic reason.

if there is a hole in the bottom and is filled with water the weight of the engine will sink the boat. once a local builder insisted that a double bottom not filled with foam still makes the boat unsinkable even with a hole in the bottom but i have my doubts

baghira

foam in the double bottom... crazy idea guys....
The best double bottom is a sealed compartment subdvided in several parts.
If foam get soaked in water you will have serious probs....It happened to my friend this summer. Boat lost 10 knots of speed + consumed twice the amount of fuel.
Ear Pain aaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

shanook

Foam used should be the impermeable type.foam apart from making the boat unsinkable also steadies and reinforces the hull. There is less chance of warping at higher speeds resulting in a better ride.

EmicMalta

on my boat, i have a place where I can install it trough hull, but need to make a hole. Also this item is not cheap too. Need to  use the 000-10946-001.

It looks that the normal transducer of the Lss2 is not suggested to install it trough hull.

EmicMalta

Sorry se nikteb bil malti ax iktar ninftijem :)

Dan hu x issugeruwli ghal fuq id dajsa tijaj. Minhabba li it transducer ta Lss2 twijl hafna, kejjilt 10" kemm jrid jigi tilted il mutur. Filfatt huma qalu li jista jkun li ma hemx ghalfejn  bilfors wiehed jollieh u issugerew li niprova qabel. Personali ma xtrajtux minhabba dina ir raguni, ma tistax toqod issuq hekk, specjalment meta jkun hemm caqlieqa. Vera li biex jopera trid issuq bilmod, pero f caqlieqa bil mutur gholi hekk min jaf kemm issabbat id dajsa

Nistennew sa kemm johrog xi haga izghar. Filwaqt hemm il Humminbird ghandom l structure scan taghhom vera zejr avolja wiehed jrid jqabbel ir rizultat