amberjacks

Started by kristofer, May 02, 2008, 22:32:47 CET

Previous topic - Next topic

kristofer

hey guys i was wondering if it would be possible to catch some amberjacks from shore. if yes pls help me on what type of lure to use and maybe some places were to go.

ciappinu

Tough! You might be able to get the little cerviolis from shore, but catching an amberjack is a different story. The common method is to leave an injured VOPA on a 30mm line (extra strong). You might get lucky. I never heard of anyone catching an amberjack from shore with a spinner, although it might be poissible I suppose.
Seabrave 14 e-Tec 50hp

kristofer

what types of fish can i catch by trolling from shore?

Freeman

Dunno if at 4kg+ it is considered as a cevjola or an acciola but one was landed just yesterday inside a harbour, didnt see the fish but the guy who cought it told me so yesterday evening. Also yesterday evening while spining from the same area, a friend of mine who was fishing with me was reeling in a very fast way to retreive the lure after it got entangled with the line, I was next to him smoking at that time, the lure was jumping frantic in and out of water and when it came close there was a pretty big fish following it at a very fast pace, unfortunately he removed the lure out of water before he saw the fish else I'm pretty sure it would have given it a bite. I'm not 100% sure of what it was but my first guess would have to be an aj.

skip

Unfotunate that one, a small pause in his retreive and the fish would have mostly likely gone for the strike and he would have had a nice fight on his hands

MartinB

id call a 4kg an acciola! ive caught a 5kg one on a lure last june

jean

I think the lures you use for aj should be totally different from the others. The rod/ reel setup has to be a little bit 'heavy action,' the lines - a good braided with a florocarbon at the end of it (similar to shock leader in surf casting). The the lures - either a big popper which would swim on the surface and create those splashes which effectivley attaracted the big fish described in the previous post or else the 'walk the dog' method (i will check for the exact name of the lure). The the retrieve has to be a rapid one, with jerks to the left and to the right, with a few pauses. However this is what the texts and websites say. I dont have the time to practice spinning in the right conditions much (at sunrise, sunset etc) and my knoledge of places is a little limited, but in Italy these systems seem to yield very good results.

jean

intermilan

Once I was fishing of the coast with gambli, and as I was reeling in I felt bites on my weight as it was at the end of the line and the hook was further up. Then what I did was just tied the hook to the weight and then just tried for the fun of it and  when I was reeling in I caught a cevjola. Basically I think they just go for anything shiny, but the main this is to pause sometimes, and not be to slow reeling in.

It is possible to catch from shore with a bit of luck, in the right season

MartinB

I caught a nice AJ spinning from the shore yesterday just a bit shy of 9kg!! i was using a metal spoon with a few feathers attached just in case an early puka might be around!!  :)

It took me just over an 1hr of 'tug of war' to tire the fish out (unlike me i was tired out after the first 20mins :D especially in that hot sun!!) and it was EXTREMELY difficult to gaff one handed!!
Ive had a two Aj's cut me off, one at the last moment, in the past month, so it was a welcome relief to finally be able get one on shore!! it seem's the saying of thing's coming in three's definitely apply's this time  :)

skip

9kgs wow fantastic Martin, what a rush. What line were you spooled up with?

Hope you managed to get some photo's. What's the hit ratio like spinning? Do you always tend to return with something?

busumark

well done martin good catch

MartinB

Thanks alot skip & busu! i posted a photo in the gallery.I was using my Penn spinfisher reel & boy did the drag get a good thrashing!!!
it was spooled up with 0.45mm but as i mentioned ive had couple of AJ's snap off on me recently so i rigged up a heavy shock leader (around 0.70mm) on the off chance that i might get lucky again  :)
Lucky i did too as i doubt whether i would have got it...i never realised that when an acciolla gets that big they have a big abrasive pad in their mouths..no wonder they snap off during a long fight!!

It was a total rush and tested my tackle & stamina (it was around 10am in the blazing hot sun!) to the very limit...im still shaking now lol  ;D
My hit ratio is just as much as anywhere else guys! when the 'cuda's are around i USUALLY get a small 'cuda but if a fish is under 1kg i always put them back (unless im using it,or kepping it for someone for use as bait)
But at the moment the 'cudas don't seem to be as active and ive been quite a few times and not caught anything!
But hopefully the lampuki will make an appearance soon!  ;)

Diplodus Sargus

Thats good guys to catch an amberjack from shore you have to be very lucky well done. I never caught one even by boat. From which part of malta you go spinning for them martinB
Sargu imperjali

EmicMalta

Quote from: Diplodus Sargus on August 21, 2008, 07:41:03 CET
Thats good guys to catch an amberjack from shore you have to be very lucky well done. I never caught one even by boat. From which part of malta you go spinning for them martinB

i don tknow you but if you meet martin he is one of the best in this type of fishing. If he says that had other chances and lost the fish taht means that he spent also a lot lot lot of time