Coastal sport fishing

Started by bigjohn, May 30, 2006, 15:58:12 CET

Previous topic - Next topic

bigjohn

Hello,

I will be visiting Malta for a holiday in July for 2 weeks, staying near Mellieha.
I have already received e-mails from Adrian Nelson & Simon Gambina who have provided me with some info (many thanks) but I need more specific information to help me prepare for my visit. There is a weight restriction for luggage and, can you believe it, my wife is insisting that I take spare clothes with me! So I have to keep the weight of my fishing tackle to a minimum.

I am plannning to bring a 3.5meter light rod that I usually use with a 2 or 3 kilo reel line for float fishing for mullet etc.
I also carry a 3 meter spinning rod with 5 to 7 kilo line which will cast weights from 15 to 60 grammes.
And 3 meter 8 weight & 6 weight fly rods with a variety of lines, floating, slow intermediate & fast intermediate.

Can you advise me on suitable lures for spinning from the shore. Spinning is a method I have never used seriously before and I need to stock up on what ever you can advise me is appropriate. Do I need wire traces for fishing for Baracuda etc

I have done a bit of saltwater fly fishing for mullet in Spain and also for bass around our local coastline. I have lots of flies that simulate bread flakes for fishing for mullet and as long as I can get hold of some stale crusty bread for ground bait I am sure I will be able to catch mullet on the flyfishing gear. I need recommendatons on flies for the other species. Are things like Clouse minnows, Surf candy & Leftys Decievers suitable? Do shrimp patterns work? Do I also need wire traces if there are predators around.
Do I need to bring fast sinking lines as well as the ones I have alrady mentioned?

I will be hiring a car for part of the visit mainly for sight seeing but no doubt I will be able to use it for fishing as well. What time is first light in Malta in July?

Where are the best places to fish around Mellieha?

I am sure there are more questions I should be asking and will no doubt add them in the near future.

Thanks in advance

John H?

placebo

Hi John,

With a 3.5m light rod you can do most of the shore fishing in malta. Float fishing is the most popular method around.

Mellieha....I'm not really into those places for fishing but at Gozo ferry front you can make good catches using floats. Also in Ghadira bay you can hit some gilthead breams and other breams with light ledgering.

If you intent making some good mullet catches you must do some grand harbour fishing. This is a lovely port for rod fishing. I t is malta's main port. Also more south you have the freeport area which is wonderful for boat fishing.

Regarding fly fishing I can give no advice. One thing I can tell you is that you have to get the thinnest line and most invisible available. We fish mullet on 0.08mm lines here!!!!

Well I'm sure you manage small ones on fly gear. Small mullet go crazy for tiny pieces of shrimp and breadflake.

First time in July is around 6.00am.

I never use any wire traces!

well if u need fishing gear there's around 10 big shops around and you can always mssg or phone me on 79476448

For bait you can use some ragworm, shrimps and bread
the fishing gods might have something for me tomorrow I'll be fishing

jiggy

fly fishing how exactly works? maybe i dont understand it in english :) ???
thanks
bahri 9.9 jhonson
little as a cat but tough as a rat!