• Welcome to Malta Fishing Forum.

catching a morina

Started by julianj, October 16, 2008, 08:29:22 CET

Previous topic - Next topic

julianj

hi can anyone tell me what to use to catch a morina(bait,casting rod/hand rod)

Gazzetta

A very simple way is to use a paternoster rig and small fish as bait, bogue (Vopa) should do fine  ;)

As line it's better to use 0.35 or 0.40 as these bastards have the teeth sharp as knives.

Chris  8)

rammx

must also say that 99% of the cases ,when catching a morina you have to throw away the rig as the morina manages to make a whole mess of it...thats i why i prefer not catching anything rather than catching one of them

Gazzetta

Quote from: rammx on October 16, 2008, 10:05:28 CET
must also say that 99% of the cases ,when catching a morina you have to throw away the rig as the morina manages to make a whole mess of it...thats i why i prefer not catching anything rather than catching one of them

Same here hehe

Chris  8)

Seahunter

If you're going specifically for morini, you can first get some fish guts/leftovers and a tin of sardines.   

Make a rig with strong line and in the end tie a kulpara.  Just some 5 cm above the kulpara tie a hook.  Some people use wire because of the sharp teeth.

Put everything (sardines etc) in fine mesh and put in the water near where you're fishing, to attract the morina in the shallow water were you can actually see the fish.

When you see the morina approaching, bait the hook with a piece of fish ( a vopa will do), and when the morina comes to take the bite, give the line a thug to catch the morina on the kulpara.

Then beware of the very sharp teeth. 
You can keep moving along the coast repeating the process.   

redbus9

hi seahunter,whats a kulpara please.thank you.
If you can't eat it don't kill it.

Gazzetta

Trident hook, 3 hooks attached if not 4 or 5  :P

Chris  8)

maxxat75

well sized hooks are good as well the morina does not scare itself from anything.
I think even thin pulutin is good to use then monofilament. and oviously make some weight.
i sometimes just do a small rock because it may easyly get stuck and i would have to forfit even the lead.  :-\

Seahunter

Quote from: Gazzetta on October 16, 2008, 13:57:11 CET
Trident hook, 3 hooks attached if not 4 or 5  :P

Chris  8)

With 3 hooks it`s better for this job.  It shouldn`t be small.

redbus9

thanks gazetta,in uk we know them as treble hooks.
If you can't eat it don't kill it.

Gazzetta

In fact that's the proper name but couldn't remeber it hehe so I tried to explain as well as I could  :P ;)

Chris  8)