• Welcome to Malta Fishing Forum.

Fishing Bait

Started by Attila, December 01, 2008, 20:19:19 CET

Previous topic - Next topic

Attila

Hi !

I've been using worms as bait on a paternoster rig for some time however it seems i can only catch small fish nothing special really !! :-\ Any ideas if i should try a different type of bait ?? I normall go to Marsascala Zonqor area. Thanks for your help  :)

ramio

If there are only small fish about,. nothing you can do. My way of thinking was always to use big hooks, large chunk of bait. Small fish will come for the bait, but while they are feeding, they may attract any bigger fish about.
I'll rather not catch anything, and wait for the nice fish!!
Can't wait to go fishing

Attila

thanks ramio !! any idea if i should keep on using worms or change to a different bait ??!

bigboy

If using large hooks i would opt for klamari u sicc.

Freeman

Maybe the big fish are afraid of your nick ? I mean who would go against "Attila" ???

ramio

Attila, If they not afraid of the "Bigboy", they won't be afraid of you.

Jokes apart, you can always put a selection of different baits on the paternoster. I would suggest the top hook (closer to main line), you put a large sized hook, baited with klamar or tumbrell, the rest make them smaller sizes. If you manage to get the big fish on the big hook, you have less chance of something breaking as it is uppermost. Don't be afraid to use a big chunk of bait, small fish will nibble and attract other fish. Squid is very good as it is firm and not easely ripped off hook. Just make sure you leave the hook point out.
Can't wait to go fishing

bigboy

I think lately the fish are afraid of me ramio :P

ramio

That saying, I think they are afraid of everyone lately. I havn't heard anyone catching much, although it has been a bit rough lately.
Can't wait to go fishing

bigboy

Seems that its gonna be a good weekend Ramio issa anraw hux forsi jpattilna ta kemm ilna nirroffaw petrol hux. U le nahseb emm zewg plamti b ismu go l istonku tahhom jigru u adom ed jistenewni hemm biex naddi u jkolli double hookup hahaj

Seems that its gonna be a good weekend Ramio we'll see maybe we get repaid for all th petrol we have wasted. I think that there are a couple of bonitos with his name inscribed and they are waiting for me to pass and i get a double hook up

ramio

jalla risq Bigboy, jien hekk nihu pjacir nisma. jekk jinqabad il hut, jista jmisni jien wkoll. nisperaw li jtina brejk dal weekend ghax stagnajt. Ili ma naqbad huta sura.

goodluck Bigboy thats what i like to hear. If there are fish being caught, i will get my turn as well. Hope we get a break in the weekend as i am bored, been so long since i caught a well sized fish.
Can't wait to go fishing