• Welcome to Malta Fishing Forum.

Malta's Biggest Stand Up record

Started by fin, April 26, 2006, 10:47:27 CET

Previous topic - Next topic

fin

Well i think i would like to start this going actually. I have been unable to find any DOCUMENTED proof of what is the largest (in weight) by a sports fisherman performing the stand up technique in catching big game fish around Malta. I have heard many rumours but we all know that these get amplified before they reach land. I would like to know if anyone has any info regarding this and i think i will start with an entry mark of 35kg equivalent of 77lbs.

Post in this forum pictures of your catches if bigger with your rod and lure.

Remember stand up mean fighting this fish with rod without the use of a fighting chair and the fish must have been landed or tagged.

Lets start this record together!
Lets put MALTA on the map with our fishing knowledge.

skip

Just to add to this one, harnesses can be used (the big ones demand it!), assistance in gaffing is allowed as is the use of a leader man. No assistance from a boat mounted winch or otherwise is permitted in the fighting of the fish, except once the fish has been gaffed and need to be brought on board.

Quote from: fin on April 26, 2006, 10:47:27 CET
Well i think i would like to start this going actually. I have been unable to find any DOCUMENTED proof of what is the largest (in weight) by a sports fisherman performing the stand up technique in catching big game fish around Malta. I have heard many rumours but we all know that these get amplified before they reach land. I would like to know if anyone has any info regarding this and i think i will start with an entry mark of 35kg equivalent of 77lbs.

Post in this forum pictures of your catches if bigger with your rod and lure.

Remember stand up mean fighting this fish with rod without the use of a fighting chair and the fish must have been landed or tagged.

Lets start this record together!

Fishmagician

Some of the captains in the cosal fishery for bluefin tuna along the Carolina coast are allowing some clients to use stand-up gear. Those bluefin that are being taken in the winter are 200-400 pounds.

The yellowfin that are the target of the Long Range sportfishing boats are all in the 150 to 300 pound range. And those guys are fishing stand up style and from an anchored or drifting boat with 20 - 30 other guys....when the fish goes you go. It has proven that stand up tackle is extremely helpful to whipping those large tuna,,,without the aid of the boat. Even small framed folks can rumble with the biggest of the tuna.

How large are the bluefin your targeting there in Malta?

Capt. Mike Fisher

fin

On average we are looking during peak season june july around the 200 to 400 pound mark, however commercial boats have returned to port with the occasional half a dozen weighing in an average of 800 pounds, monsters.

FIN

skip

Quote from: fin on April 29, 2006, 19:53:09 CET
On average we are looking during peak season june july around the 200 to 400 pound mark, however commercial boats have returned to port with the occasional have a dozern weighing in an average of 800 pounds, monsters.

FIN

Fin,

Important to point out that the 200-400 Bluefin are not found close to our shores at all, and you're talking getting out 50 miles + in the right spot to get them. With that comes having the type of boat that can do that, and of course adequate means to preseve the fish once out so far as well as the means to bring those monsters into the boat. Here a tuna door is a must and I can only think of 1 or 2 rec boats here that have one and they are made in the US.

I would say expect 45lbs or thereabouts for a good catch, and there are a couple of exceptions to the above where you can find 100lbs fish relatively close by.

Skip

fin

SKIP,

Just keep in mind that 450 lbs tuna are located just around the tuna farming areas during July - August, so although i agree very hard to land these fish in an unappropriate boat not impossible if you are a team of crew on board. Plus from experience i have seen on regular basis 200 - 400 lbs tuna just as close as 15 miles to our shores always travelling in SW directions.

So not necessary to be that far, its all about the feeding process and sea temp.

YOURS FIN

Fishmagician

200 - 400 pound tuna only 15 -20 miles off your shores is FANTASTIC! Our tuna grounds are farther by sixty miles most years, and the fish aren't that big!!

To preserve those monsters, (if you can get into the boat) a good quality fish bag is a must. They're insulated and after killing, gilling and gutting the tuna, you can slide him in the bag, and pack him with ice.....

Best to all,
Capt. Mike Fisher

skip

Mike,

I still can't understand why those fish bags are so damn expensive. A few hundred bucks isn't cheap for an insulated bag, though I think the key phase is if you can get them on board! We're fishing a similar sized platform to you.

Skip

fin

Talking about bags, how important is a drift bag or known also as a sea anchor when drifting for swords at night for example?

And for one who does not have a sea anchor is he very much at a disadvantage?

NIGEL

fin

Hey guys,

Has anyone this year yet caught anything over the 20 kg mark?

I would like to know and if so please contact us!

FIN

Simon G

i know of a couple of ppl who caught 40kg + ambies on hand lines
i will try get names weight and pics.
maxxon 420 with 30hp tohatsu
profesional aquarist and under water photographer
semi profesional spearfisherman

fin

Dear all,

this seems to have died here.....

any new big catches to go beyond 40 kgs on a rod?

FIN

jessijames 2

Hi
First of all i don t have any experiance fishing with a rod, hopefully i will try this year.i dont know why every body say that to catch big tuna have to go 50 to 80 miles out. if you guys watch you tube all the mediteranian tuna fishing is close to land. In the US alot of captians bait for a long time and use live bait . Very few that they troll for tuna.

skip

Jessi,

Unfortunately Malta is not the rest of the Med and you have to always bear that in mind, worst still we have more commercial tuna purse seiners around Malta and fishing the waters then most equivalent sized fishing zones for sure.

In theory you should be able to catch them from near shore, definately not land! BUT if they get past the purse seiners you then have the long liners something that is still VERY popular in Malta and not that popular/allowed in other parts of the Med.

This means that BIG tuna simply aren't found easily within 10-20 miles of our shore. Trust me I've been out countless times and The Gaffer and others have been fishing half of their life trolling with rods and nada.

What we tend to get around Malta that people catch are the 10-20kgs Bluefin especially around late August early September. During what was the peak big bluefin season of June/early July I personally have never caught a Bluefin only Alungi.

The commercial guys tend to sit 80 miles offshore near Medina bank and towards Lampedusa. Given their commercial operation they must do this for a reason as that's where the fish are. If not they could save lots of hassle and serious money and fish alot closer.

The fishing in the US is very different I'm afraid. They have known Tuna grounds but as you can see from Capt Mike Fisher they sometimes go out 60-100 miles to get there on a bank and then yes you can chum, chunk and live bait with success.

One has to always adapt techniques to the local environment. That's my two cents/view anyways, could be wrong of course.

jessijames 2