• Welcome to Malta Fishing Forum.

TATAKI SQUID JIGGING BY BOAT

Started by digger, December 08, 2009, 16:49:27 CET

Previous topic - Next topic

digger

Has anyone tried this tataki method as they have mr fish the reason i ask is i am catching at night but a few years ago i used to do well in mornings up till about 7-30 lately not good in mornings this tataki supposed you can fish in day for clamari .

Jamelusp

by boat you can fish day and night actually...
Lupi ~ A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work.

rob1974

I tried it at night, and it compared to the traditional way of fishing for calamari, no more no less.  Having said that, I did not try it during the day.

Rob

ganni

did you try it with the specific tataki rod and thin brain?? 10-20lbs??
SHIMANO---Tomorrow's tackle today

rob1974

I've got a kabura rod, with 30lb braid.  It is a bit overboard with respect to power, which made me loose a couple of calamari, but works relatively well. 

Rob

clutch_kick

I'll build you a proper rod then rob1974 :)

I know that in Japan the technique is called Eging.  They use very light rods and extremely thin braid. 

How heavy are the Squid Jigs generally?  If there is enough interest I would have a go at building a couple of Eging Rods.  I know a good rod blank that is a 7'6", 2 peice. All in Graphite, with a line weight is 6-12lbs and casting range 1/8 to 5/8oz.

Official Molix, Major Craft, DUO and SeaSpin agent for Malta.

rob1974

You will not take long to convince me.  I sent you a pm.

Rob

Jamelusp

rob1974

With this system (tataki) definitely braid. It requires sudden movements to the squid jigs that cannot be obtained with nylon fishing line.   

Rob

Jamelusp

cheers good to know that...thought that braid is only 25mm or thicker but just got to know that there is even 18mm...might give it a go then

ganni

@ clutch_kick, i don't think that a blank with a casting rating of 1/8-5/8 oz is adequate.  you need at lst 1 1/2 oz of weight to fish properly in 50m of water with 15lbs braid ??
SHIMANO---Tomorrow's tackle today

clutch_kick

Quote from: ganni on December 11, 2009, 13:50:59 CET
@ clutch_kick, i don't think that a blank with a casting rating of 1/8-5/8 oz is adequate.  you need at lst 1 1/2 oz of weight to fish properly in 50m of water with 15lbs braid ??

Rod blanks are no problem at all, you can find anything ont he market. I have never fished for squid so i did a little googling to see what our japanese comerades use, and i was astonished at how light the tackle is! To be honest with you the blank I mentioned in my last post was quite generous!

Ofcourse everybody has his own preferences, but keep in mind that I researched rods that are used for shore fishing.  So most probably one would usually be fishing in less than 20m of water. Hence why I asked what sort of weight range these squid jigs have.

rob1974

Sorry for the absence, but I am quite busy at the moment.  I fish in anything up to 70m of water, so I use up to 100gr of lead to get to the bottom comfortably. 

Re braid diameter, I have a 20lb braid that is 0.07mm, so you can find anything!

Rob

clutch_kick

100gms!?!?! lol that changes a lot of things then, i was under the impression that you were fishing from shore! That explains why you are using a multiplier reel.

In that case a lighter version of the Vertical Jigging rod I built will be perfect for you. Length: 6', Pieces: 1, Line WT:15-30 lb., Lure WT: 112g (2-4 oz),  Action: Moderate.  You can even use it for bottom fishing, Inchiku and Kabura.

konz

THE ONLY MONTHS YOU CAN FISH FOR KLAMARI DURING THE DAY IS FEBUARY AND MARCH MOSTLY, JANUARY IS NOT THAT BAD, BUT FOR SOME REASON THE AREA AROUND MALTA DOES MAKE A DIFFERENCE.