• Welcome to Malta Fishing Forum.

Shore fishing at Qbajjar Gozo

Started by oxocat, February 08, 2010, 18:07:12 CET

Previous topic - Next topic

oxocat

Hello
I visit Malta regularly but have never fished there before. I am staying in Qbajjar Gozo in July and intend doing some fishing. Can anyone tell me the good places nearby and the best methods and baits please?
I am also thinking of hiring a small boat. Anyone know anyone?
All help and replys appreciated
Many thanks
oxocat

caldaland

qbajjar is very good for night fishing on the bottom with paternoster.sea worms are excellent so are any shellfish for that matter.just cover and seal your lunch and bait as that place is infested with rats! lol!

oxocat

Thanks caldaland, I can manage the night fishing but RATS!!!!!! better get my catapult polished  ;D

caldaland

noztheviking

Hi if catapults are so against the law why are they available at most fishing shops through out Malta

caldaland

he was kidding mate but,was not too far from the truth!

MartinB

If you want to avoid the rats then maybe go spinning during the day at qbajjar!! & you won't be alone!!! you'll see as qbajjar is a popular spinning mark! ;D..its best to go 1hr before sunset (or 30mins at the least) onwards as this is the best time for predators,esp. barracudas,to be active.
In fact you can catch little tunnie and atlantic bonito with spinners there this time of year.
However in July the water will be warmer so the bigger palegics will move in closer towards the shore & small amberjacks,blue runners can be caught on surface lures,minnows,plugs or metal spinners casted from the shore.
Also if your intent on hiring a small boat the bigger plageics e.g albacore and other tuna etc can be caught trolling by boat...and possibly a nice sized amberjack if your inclined try some jigging.