• Welcome to Malta Fishing Forum.

How is 2010 treating the spinners on the forum?

Started by jean, April 05, 2010, 20:50:17 CET

Previous topic - Next topic

jean

Hey Guys,

Have not been spinning and fishing much lately. Yet saturday managed to snatch 2 hours early morning. Tried some new lures out which I had got a while ago. Had a close encounter with  what i think was a cuda, yet no strikes.

Also tried the Mark-White surface plug lure. Small, but heavy and with the right speed it actually acts like a popper!!! Was impressed. Think it might be good for puki :)

What about you guys, any luck lately?

Regards to all,
jean

clutch_kick

Not much spinning at the moment. As I said on a previous thread, this is the Seabass season, but there is no seabass around.  Therefor at the moment I am killing time tending to my bees ( and getting stung ) and i'm off to foreign shores to try some jigging.  Hopefully July will come soon and I can hunt my favorite fish, the Leccia.
Official Molix, Major Craft, DUO and SeaSpin agent for Malta.

robby017

i might be going overland to northern Sicly and driving the coast come next September, anyone ever been spinning there??? as i was planning on taking up some spinning gear and stuff.
Scorpion 14.5 feet, Suzuki 60hp & Suzuki 6hp Aux.

Authorised & Licenced Fish Population Controller

Born to Fish, Forced to Work

clutch_kick

The area between palermo and Trapani is very good, but ideally the wind should be from West to Northest, so you can get some good rolling surf.

robby017

clutch_kick

over there they spin a little bit different to us.  Long slim lures are the best, like the daiwa ShoreLine Shiner 17cm, get into the water waist deep and spin over the surf.  In mid to late summer when the Leerfish and the Bluefish are hitting, take a strong rod and reel and some surface lures, and hold your breath.  A 10kg Leerfish on a spinning rod is like catching a freight train!

robby017

don't worry....... it won't pull me in as i'll hold in place like a mooring..... :D

D_Styles

I was here towards the end of April/first week of May. I tried my hand at spinning. I had a cheap telescopic rod which proceeded to snap in half after only a few days of not catching anything, so I bought a basic telescopic number for about 15 euros. Very well made IMO, can't remember the name of it, but I'll be glad to use it again next time I come over to visit my brother! The reel was in perfect working order so I didn't see the point in buying another. My lure cost about 3 euros, it had a good weight, and flew much easier and further that one my dad had packed which was actually larger! 

I tried St. George's Bay just above Paceville. I caught a dead parrot (not even kidding...)

I also had a fun time spinning in the evening and early morning at Tigne Point in front of the new hotel. Go along the bridge which takes you along the sea front, there is a rock garden along the length of a path (in front of a bar/restaurant thing) and there's a break in the rocks, with some sort of black ground sheet, this immediately takes you to some hidden steps which takes you right to some rocks which go right up to the sea. Beautiful!
I also popped to Gozo for the day, and had a quick spin from the cliffs at the Azure Window.

No cigar though, I'm a total newbie to spinning (fishing in general actually  ;) ) So I may have the natural technique of a special needs kid. I enjoyed myself though, the sensation of reeling in regularly instead of casting and staring at a float was a lot more engaging for me :)