• Welcome to Malta Fishing Forum.

Spinning on offshore fish.

Started by clutch_kick, May 04, 2011, 10:17:43 CET

Previous topic - Next topic

skip

It's to reduce the resistance in the water, allowing u to vertical jig rather than angled jig!

Moonwalker

Ok good explanation :)  Now are 10m  of flourocarbon really necessary or you can do with less (to reduce more drag)?
Petecraft 20 - twin Mariner 150HP EFI

maltembu

Quote from: Moonwalker on May 04, 2011, 18:13:39 CET
Ok good explanation :)  Now are 10m  of flourocarbon really necessary or you can do with less (to reduce more drag)?

Less than 5m is not advisable.. 5 to 8m being the norm.. But you can use up to 10m.. Advice given by carlo leone..

Thanks clutchkick for the explanation..
A woman who has never seen her husband fishing, doesn't know what a patient man she married !

There is no such thing as too much equipment.

clutch_kick

Start with 10m ... eventually you will end up with 5m :D   then it is time to change the leader lol
Official Molix, Major Craft, DUO and SeaSpin agent for Malta.

skip

The better you get and the better your equipment, rod/reel/line quality/terminal tackle the lighter you can go but yes whilst you will tend to get more hookups, though as Freedive pointed out you also stand a greater chance of losing fish depending on the species

robby017

QuoteI never said it was impossible! Just risky.

Whats fishing without any risk ??????

just winching up a weight from the bottom of the sea....... many need to learn that its ok for the fish to win sometimes.... just my opinion.......  ::)
Scorpion 14.5 feet, Suzuki 60hp & Suzuki 6hp Aux.

Authorised & Licenced Fish Population Controller

Born to Fish, Forced to Work

baghira

Ear Pain aaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

clutch_kick

Quote from: FREEDIVE on May 05, 2011, 19:23:14 CET
A fish with a hooks and maybe a couple of 100 metres of braid isn't exactly a winner as sooner or later it will snag and either die of exhaustion or starve (I ve seen it happen). If you want a winner, you can always release it (not all of them come up nearly dead). Hook-ups might be so rare that it good for us to win some times.

I wish to reinforce freedive's point here, he is very very right.  In fact many of my friends in Italy that fish for the Leccia Amia are now moving back to heavier tackle as opposed to light.  The stronger tackle let's you finish off the fight quicker, and the fish is in better shape to be released back into the sea.  people with a conscience are coming up with more ideas on conservation and preservation, one important factor is the banning of stainless steel hooks.  Some spinners are even substituting their hooks with barbless ones.  This would avoid having the fish swimming with a piercing in the form of a lure in it's mouth for a month or so, making it difficult for it to hunt and feed.

My friends ... take care of the fish that we so badly fish for.

twoutes

Keep in mind that braid has zero stretch.....the long mono leader acts as a shock absorber
We're here for a good time...Not a long time

clutch_kick

Quote from: twoutes on May 05, 2011, 21:33:37 CET
Keep in mind that braid has zero stretch.....the long mono leader acts as a shock absorber

Twoutes, the 10m of mono leader are too short to have any shock absorbing effect what so ever.  The Zero stretch is actually a desired trait because it give you a more direct control over the lure or jig.  The shock absorbtion need to come from your rod and reel, hence the need for good quality tackle, and a properly set drag when using braid.

Moonwalker

What if you use red braid instead of mono? Red should disappear below few meters of water right?

baghira

nope not disappear..........
It turns black moonwalker...
Ear Pain aaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

clutch_kick

Quote from: Moonwalker on May 05, 2011, 22:39:17 CET
What if you use red braid instead of mono? Red should disappear below few meters of water right?

Moonwalker, look a bit on the foreign forums and blogs. Especially the Italian ones since they are the closest we have to compare.  If red braid worked everyone would be using it and nobody would be using a leader, but they don't :D  ... keep using that leader buddy.

Moonwalker

I was expecting that answer but its never bad to ask :)

clutch_kick

It is always worth asking a question no matter how stupid it may sound.  Even if you get a stupid answer back, it's always better than nothing. :D