• Welcome to Malta Fishing Forum.

Advice on first boat

Started by dgal0021, May 21, 2011, 10:29:18 CET

Previous topic - Next topic

dgal0021

I am looking to buy my first boat and have read endless threads on the forum, but still my ideas are a bit confused. I wish to buy a 13/14 foot boat so I could start my offshore fishing experience. I have read that a 9.9 motor would be enough but others say its not powerful enough and will get fed up of it soon, so its better to invest in a larger motor. The thing is that I am looking at a 2000 – 2500 eur budget. So what is the best setup (boat + engine) I could get for that kind of money?

dgal0021

With offshore I meant on the sea, no need to go far out. Just am looking forward to rest my shore fishing rods  :)

ganni

than that's coastal boat fishing...a 13ft boat will do. and if your budget is low a 9.9hp will do also. but keep in mind that your speed will be around 10kts and it will take you a bit longer if you want to travel a bit to find better spots. but if you dont mind taking a bit longer its not a problem.

i have a small 13ft kaptan twin, used to be with a 9.9 so i know what it feels like, but if thats your budget you'll have to stick to it irrespective of what others tell you. you'll still enjoy it :)
SHIMANO---Tomorrow's tackle today

placebo

probably you will be enjoying more than having a bigger boat!
the fishing gods might have something for me tomorrow I'll be fishing

shanook

my 2c:
How many people are going to be on the boat?
Which part of Malta do you live and are u planning to fish in that part?
What is your age? as you might want to use it with girlfriend/wife and any Kids.
The above make a differnece in your choice, these are not the only parameters you have to consider.
if you have a budget there is not much you can do accept skip a year and buy next year.
You have to do your homework mate. but whatever you do the most important is to enjpy the boat to the max.
I bought a Kaptan 14 foot changed to a kaptan 18 after a year.......my friend bought a 14 foot kaptan and still has it till now. So its a matter of personal choice.

dgal0021

Most probably in the boat we will be most of the time two persons and on some occasion maybe some friends will join me so a max of 4 persons at a time. I read that a 13/14 footer is able to carry 4 persons although a bit crammed. I live in the south of Malta and will put the boat to sea either at Marsascala, or St.Thomas bay. What has this to do with the boat? About skipping a year is a bit difficult because I am still a student and have 2 years left, so its not an option :) 

benri

I think you might have problems with 4 peolple on a 13/14 footer with a 9.9hp. What Shanook asked you is how far you intend to travel - for ex. from Marsascala to where? or St Thomas Bay to where? It will take you very long if you intend to go to comino ;)
I'd rather be fishing.....

dgal0021

4 people only on rare occassions but obviously would not pretend to be very comfortable. Most of the time it will be myself and another person. Is a 9.9 enough to fish comfortably for 2 persons? If I intend to go to comino I wouldn't put the boat to sea from Marsascala  ;D I mostly intend to fish in the Southern area; St. Thomas bay, il-hofriet, Delimara etc.

Granitu

in my opinion i would look even further, like consumption

If you want a boat for fishing purposes, and consumption is a concern, consider the powering of the boat.

Also note that maybe you are a little late in buying a boat, at this time of the year prices are likely to soar up. I would see mid november, september and try to buy a boat during that period
Good season so far.....

dgal0021

That's why I was opting for a 9.9 because consumption is relatively low, but I also read that in some cases opting for a slightly larger engine, like a 15hp would reduce consumption because it will be less stressed. As for the time of the year you are very right, but I am looking around for now to get a good idea of what to look for from the experts  ;)

Granitu

in your budget class i would seriously look in the kaptan twin and similar boats.

an older style can be kajjik and fregatini but not many people are interested in them, however their prices seem to be getting lower year by year. my 2cents
Good season so far.....

visa

You can also take into consideration that the 9.9hp can be tuned to be a 15hp so if you are going to be two persons you will be OK, taking into account  that you will stay in coastal waters.
RASCALA 24ft. with DF225 hp SUZUKI v6 4 stroke

dgal0021

I looked at some Kaptan twin boats but are above my budget. Is the bahri similar, if not what do you think about them?

P.S: Thank you all for your great help!!

caldaland

buy the boat second hand and the motor new and you can never go wrong.

ganni

@ caldaland, the price of a 9.9hp is already above or equal to his budget!!

dgal0021 i understand you fully because i'm still a student too :) but only for the next three weeks cause ill be doing my final exams  ;D

dont give up on the kaptan twin, you should find one in your budget range, it wont be the latest model...however still a good boat.

and don't feel put off by the fancy price tags some put on their boat, they might be ready to sell it much lower than the asking price (jaraw isibux xi mazzun haha)

SHIMANO---Tomorrow's tackle today