• Welcome to Malta Fishing Forum.

FADs - allowed or not allowed?

Started by benri, September 14, 2007, 10:04:12 CET

Previous topic - Next topic

benri

Hi there,
Something that's always in my mind is whether it's allowed for an amateur to troll by "cimi" (I think FADS?) or not. Is there some code of ethic, are they free for all or what? I also once heard some hearsay that people were shot at! is it true? when trolling for lampuki should you pass by the cima or how far off? hope i'm not bombarding too much with questions - if so sorry!
I'd rather be fishing.....

gottie

The Cimi are Privately owned. Mostly by fishermen who pay the fisheries department over Lm 100 for a permit so they can throw their 'Rimja". It is also stipulated in the Law that it is illegal to approach them if they are not yours.

Having said that, I'm sure that not everyone has abided fully by the law:). So you might as well try, but if you see a fisherman approach.... Run for your life as I too have heard cases of shotguns being fired !

Then there's the other alternative. You can become a member of a fishing club and fish on their cimi.

For lampuki you have to troll quite near the FAD but not too close as you might catch the cima instead of fish with your hook !

skip

What Gottie says is true but only valid up to 25nm from Malta, the so called Exclusive fishing zone. After 25 miles, Maltese Law is not applicable in International waters and you cannot be prevented from going on Cimi

gottie

Yes from 25 miles on, its the law of the jungle, Thus if I see a shotgun I run !! :D

shanook

if i am not mistaken you have to keep 500 feet away from the fads. these are placed by professional fisherman and lets not forget its their income, they spend a lot of money and effort to lay the fads. if you troll about 30feet away from the fad lampuki will stay attack the lure and if there are lampuki u dont scare them off the fad and keep them calm. So as the other members said join a club and use those fads. The thing is once u get hooked on offshore fishing u tend to want to fish out there that is from 15 miles out where u dont see land and its peacefull and vast and more chance of hooking a good sized fish. Happy fishing........

skip

I understand its their living, but let's be honest, just how many lampuki can you catch on a Rixa?! They net them and one isn't really interfering with that, plus from what I've heard most aren't too bothered especially on the ones that are up to say 15 miles to shore as they go 80 miles out.

Plus and this is just my personal feeling, their fuel is subsidised which we the tax payer pick up the bill for and they get big government subsidies for their boats and equipment which we also pay for, in return we don't get anything as the price of fish in the market is still very high. I personally feel if you don't abuse it, and are not interfering with their fishing activity I dont see an issue.

For example moving a couple of miles ahead of a professional fisherman running his FADs would be intereferring, but if there's no one about and you're out of 25 miles, it's cowboy land just make sure your boat can do more than 28 knots in those sea conditions as their fishing boats can move if they put on all engines and max power!

shanook

you hit it right on the head skip. Good advice on the speed.

ciappinu

I totally agree with Skip. Infact fisherman don't bother much up to 8-12 miles. Just take care when seeing bigger boats, and make sure you have a good lead, just in case!

On the other hand, catching one lampuka and loosing it at, or close to the boat can ruin a FAD full of lampuki. Lampuki behavior is such that they follow the fastest one, so a prickled lampuka can scare a shoal of lampuki away.
Seabrave 14 e-Tec 50hp

benri

Thanks for all the info ppl. you made me an expert in no time on the subject!! I tried the top speed and its up to 38 - 40 knots (apart from the fact that I risked splitting my bum :-)... hope the speedo works correctly and I can get the engine started in time if needed!
I think that would be a nightmare... having the fishermen coming at you and your main engine won't start!

givella

Hey Berni.  That's great speed!!! You saw 40 knots with a 90HP Johnson outboard.  The maximum I saw with a 4 stroke 90 HP out board was 21 knots.

busumark

gvella. it depends on which boat u tried the motor.

skip

Speedo's on a boat usually show in mph not knots, so about 33 knots and are notouriously inaccurate. I would say check with a handheld GPS for the actual speed, but either way you seem to be flying!

Givella, you must have had a very very heavy boat as busumark states, a 15foot open fletcher is very light and a planing hull.

givella

It is a 19 foot Buccaneer with cabin. rather Hervey. The max is 31 knots not 21 Knots. I made a typo error. I just discussed this with a friend and he pointed out that the fletcher is a very light boat.

benri

I'm starting to doubt now whether it's knots or miles (I'm still quite new). First time at the garage I'll check what the speedo says and confirm. I've also heard that they're not so reliable but I'm still waiting for my gps... hopefully christmas present! - I'll send a copy of this post to my wife :-)

skip

yes!! you definately need a GPS. Your wife wouldn't want you to get lost and not be safe :)