• Welcome to Malta Fishing Forum.

Cooking Fish by MFF members

Started by shanook, June 10, 2008, 19:57:25 CET

Previous topic - Next topic

shanook

Hi all those who can cook please post here different methods for cooking different fish. Maybe nick will organise it better later on

ramio

Ok shanook here goes.

Alungi as most people know, can be quite dry. I found that puting the steaks in an oven dish with olive oil, garlic, lemon juice and wine to go up to half way upthe side of steaks. Put in oven for 15 min, turn and another5 to 6min. If you like you can thicken the sauce with a litle corn flour mixed in cold water and you can serve it on the fish. If you like you can cover fish with foil, and not turn it. You can add any herbs of your taste. I find that too much can cover the taste of the fish.
Can't wait to go fishing

shanook

can just about taste it i would put in oven for 12 minutes turn it for 3 and take it out to cook on its own for about 5 minutes before serving .... the more juicy u leave tuna the better. come on mff cooks another method..

bigboy

I have tried alongi on the bbq and they came deliscious. i left them for 24 hrs marinated in whine, olive oil and herbs. then i get them out of the fridge let them come a bit to room temperature and onto the bbq. I dont over cook the fish but just get it to the exact cooking and its beautiful

shanook

u keep them wrapped in foil with sliced lemons on them???

bigboy

no shanook i dont use lemons. i squeese lemons on them before eating :p

The_Gaffer

I used to cut up alungi into steak slices, but now I prefer to fillet them. One method of cooking is to cut up the fillet into cubes or stripes, a little olive oil in the wok, and stir fry until golden brown, serve with either rice, noddles or stir fry veg.
Beneteau Antares 9.80 - Powered by twin Volvo Penta D4 225HP
     _\____
       /___ \
___ /_____\_______
|_______________/

Granitu

you can even eat fish without cooking it, if you know what you are eating it is a very good mix with some rice salad and some fresh rizzi. this was something i did just 2 weeks ago and to be redone, surely. the sargi i used were mixed with hot rice so as to gain some superficial cook but the core remains uncooked

the fish i used was saragi, and i should repeat it in a few days time after exams finished, i have 2 nice sargi left in freezer for cooking. they are the last sargi i caught from a spear fish.

this is not my recipe, i saw it on an italian program.

the rizzi give a very good taste but it is better to cook it a little bit with some herbs but do not add too many ingredients if you are cooking rizzi, as you will spoil the beautiful taste they have
Good season so far.....

shanook

Yep cooking with rizzi gives a lovely taste to fish...

bigboy

I will surely try out wour method with alongi gaffer :)

suffrun

ramio's method in my opinion is one of the best ways one may cook fish. Personally I also add black olives, stone removed and halved, 1 tbsp of capers and 2/3 tomatoes quartered. these ingredients may also be used when fish is cooked cartoccio style.
Another interesting way of cooking barracuda is by poaching it.