• Welcome to Malta Fishing Forum.

MCAST Maritime Institute - VHF Short Range Certificate Course

Started by skip, August 01, 2008, 09:39:35 CET

Previous topic - Next topic

skip

As per fishfinders suggestion, if anyone is interested in completing the VHF Short Range Certificate course offered by the Maritime Institute please could you post in here and we'll see when the next course is being run. Chances are if we are a good number they will do the course for us.

Course Overview

The introduction of the Global Maritime Distress and Safety System (GMDSS) has brought about the need to revise the radio operator qualifications. The Short Range Certificate (SRC) is now the basic radio operator qualification. The SRC authorises the holder to operate an approved VHF radio. The course covers principles of maritime radio communications, GMDSS communication systems, knowledge of radio equipment, distress alerting, use of DSC VHF, & miscellaneous skills & operational procedures for general communications. Interested applicants should be at least 16 years of age & have a common understanding of the english language. No prior knowledge of radio communications is required. At the end of the course, delegates would have to sit for both written and practical assessments. Successful completion of the course & examination will result in the award of the Short Range Certificate issued by the Malta Maritime Authority.

6 Days ?139.76

I checked with them and it's actually six full days from 8am - 4pm!! If we can get 14 people together which is the number they need to run a course and we all indicate a partime preference in the evening they should run the course then.

poor catch

I would be interested in attending especially if lecture times are in the evening ( the later the better ).

Perhaps if we are an MFF group, we could ask to have the course run over 6 weeks. ie one lecture a week.

Would recommend that other VHF user's attend the course since VHF might be the only means of communication when out at sea so it's important to know how to communicate correctly when using VHF.

In the past ( pre DSC days )  I had attended a VHF operator's course as part of another course, and found the VHF module very instructive. Discovered that there was alot I was not aware of.

fishfinder

Skip,

I'm interested to attend to this course and I fully agree with poor catch cause I'm avail only in the evening too cause I'm short of leave.

Fishfinder
Kaptan Leisure with Suzuki DF115 4 stroke

benri

If we manage to get the group up to 14 people (which I very much doubt) I'm in.
I'd rather be fishing.....

ramio

Can't wait to go fishing

LapsiBoy

Perla 165

Guys for the evenings there a place @ Kalkara called Cadetts. Theres a volintary " teachers" that learn all topics about Maritime. Also  lesson on VHF's radio and other good tips. If im not going wrong its Free!!.
Perla 165 with Toyota 2.2 Litre = 70 bhp.

Frejgatina 13' with acme petrol/pitrolju 10hp.

Ghazel u Huw, Igdem u kuwl !!

BAKSI

Hi Guys.

I have already paid, and the fee is 145 euros and not 139 euros. The receptionist did not informed me that its going to be a 6 ful day course, as I would not have applied for. I was giving the impresion its an evening class thing. Any way Im in , so its up to you guys to go and apply for the VHF short range certificate. See you in class.

skip

Inflation Baksi! In August that was the price being displayed! lol

Have you told the institute that you would like to wait for an evening course to become available when enough people apply?

Did you pay a deposit or the full amount to apply?

BAKSI

Hi Skip,

I was made to pay the full amount. There is no such deposit with the MCAST. This was 5th September. Yes I did tell the recept. that Im in for evening classes. Thats why I was surprised when I read in the forum that it is a 6 day course. 8 hours is to much at a strech. I would prefer shorter hours and I think its more reasanable.But I think if we can do some kind of diplomatic pressure with the MCAST people, we might get a fair deal which will accomodate our needs. That is lessons will be held in the evenings, like we did to get the boat handling licence. Do you agree ? All we have to do is to phone and phone and phone MCAST and express our needs, after all we are paying customors with no offence to MCAST people. After all they might have some valid reason for doing other wise. But still we woul prefer in the evening. Correct me if Im wrong. 

skip

Sounds like a plan, tell you what, all of you who expressed an interest, email me at admin@maltafishingforum.com and I will send to MCAST as a joint request.

BAKSI

Good idea.
Well lets hope we do get the number required.  Some one asked about the age, it has to be 16+ to appply for such Course.

ramio

Can't wait to go fishing

Kaptan Jr

Katpan 15ft, Cuddy cabin and powered with twin 50hp TLDI Tohatsu outboard engines

skip

Not yet Ramio, we're still not enough people to get a course arranged for us in the evenings and otherwise we'd all have to pay our course money from now and then wait