• Welcome to Malta Fishing Forum.

Jigging from boat

Started by ramio, January 26, 2009, 20:30:41 CET

Previous topic - Next topic

ramio

I thought might be worth starting a new topic about this fast growing type of fishing.
I have bought a new rod late in the season, and started a collection of jiggs. Looking forward in trying them out next season. At moment my boat is up.
I was tinking of trying my luck for albacore, should be qite some fun. Had our share of fun tralling for them, might as well try somthing new.
I invite you guys who are into jigging to share your experiences here.
Myself so far I managed to catch one nice cerviola, and..............one of the ropes at the fish farm!

have fun
Can't wait to go fishing

neville

PROSIT SIHBI NAHSEB ILJIGGING HA JKUN POPOLARI MAZZMIEN F PAJJIZNA.

Well donemy friend I think in time jigging will be popular in our Island
silver craft 395

Tatanka

Gents , I have never jigged from a boat yet & curious to find out if it would be the same setup as if you would be jigging from land. As I know it has to be a light tackle rig up from land so assuming it would be similar for sea but the concern is the size of fish should technically be bigger.
Galia 440 outboard 40 Tohatsu

LapsiBoy

Tatanka actually i think light tackle would be a bad idea :p..Ex: Camkev caught a 40kilo amberjack on his first try :P

Tatanka

I had tought that would be the case Lapsiboy, Can anyone advise what would be the ideal rig up & set up for jigging from a boat ??? & what would the max depth you could jig effectivley.
Galia 440 outboard 40 Tohatsu

neville

in my opinoin tatanka a 150-300 vertical jigging rod, a power full shimano reel with 50lb dyneema and be prepare for cash
silver craft 395

camkev

Like lapsi boy mentioned the first time i tried it i caught a 40 kilo amberjack.I just bought a few jigs and gave it a try........went again several times but nothing :-[ I was using a jigging rod of 200lbs but normal reel with .50 line.There was someone in the forum that had all details.I will look it out for you and let you know,cause i forgot his name.good luck. :)
Fishing,fishing ,fishing thats all i think about.

skip

Ramio what rod did you buy/from where?

fishfinder

I have to Alcedo jigging rods which until now I didn't managed to catch and fish by jigging but I've used them for trolling for lampuki and they are great  ;D

I found jigging very hard to practice cause my heart was beating twice and Busu was laughing when he saw me taking a break for Breathing :-[

I will try it again this year may be I will have some more luck.
Kaptan Leisure with Suzuki DF115 4 stroke

rob1974

Hi there, I am not an expert in this technique, since my fishing buddy prefers trolling, but I have read a lot and have all the necessary gear to try it out.

Reel :  Is it better to use a trolling reel or a casting one ? - the less flexible the top part of the rod is the better.  Compared to any type of rod, jigging rods have by far the least sensitive tip.  Power range should be at least a 30lbs rod, remember that its parctically a tug of war with the fish
Weight : Weight of the jig should be aggording to the rod I think ey ?  The bigger the jig the more wieght and the bigger the fish that will attack it.  Not necessarily.  THe weight depends more on the rod and line, and the depth at which you are fishing.

Hooks : Should one use one single hook or double or 2 single hooks ? I prefer the single hook setup.  My gear is as follows, 30lbs lamiglass rod and nexave 10000 reel. 40lb multifibre (a must due to sensitivity and being able to work with less weight) in the spool.  10m flourocabon attached to the multifibre.  150lb swivel. Split ring to swivel to which I attach the jig and the assist hook.  The assist hook should be consdierebly wider than the width of the jig I you do not want the two to get constantly tangled

Spots :  Where should one practice this type of fishing ? Open at sea ? Near rigs ? Closer to land near reefs ?  Usually its deeped water 40m+ and close to structures.  In the case of reefs you can actually drift over the shollwer parts.

If you need company just give me a call.  I have all the necessary gear from the flourocarbon downwards.

This was my reply to Gazzetta re jigging some time ago.  Will try "fishing" for some other info on the forum!!!

rob1974

http://maltafishingforum.com/talk/index.php/topic,531.0.html

Try this link to another thread on this forum. 

Seaspin.com has a very good forum on jigging in Italy, and also biggame.it

Rob

camkev

@tatanka,this is the guy i told you about Rob1974  :) ;D
@Rob1974,you should come with us and will try and have a go,like your friend we prefare trolling but sometimes we try different techniques. 8)
Fishing,fishing ,fishing thats all i think about.

rob1974

With pleasure!!  I never turn down and invitation to go out fishing!

Rob

rob1974

By the way, the invitation to share my fishing videos and literature is still valid, though there is a waiting list!! 

Rob

rob1974

To get a good basic idea of what jigging is all about, I suggest reading "La sfida verticale" by Domenico Craveli.  He featured in the jigging documentary aired on local tv programme Mr Fisherman some months ago.  He is considered one of the most knowledgeable persons on the subject in Italy. 

Rob