• Welcome to Malta Fishing Forum.
Main Menu

What boat to get

Started by Vicky, April 23, 2009, 18:11:33 CET

Previous topic - Next topic

Vicky

Hi,

I'm looking to buy a second hand open boat but i'm not sure what to look for. I want a boat that seats 4 to 6 ppl to be used just to get around the islands. Is a 13ft boat enough? What hp should the motor be?

Vicky

skip

Hi Vicky, welcome to the forum.

13 foot will handle 4 people as per the CE ratings of most boats that size, but 6 is a push to say the least unless you don't mind being squashed like sardines.

Aside from people you always need to consider the additional weight and space that will be taken up by personal belongings and boat safety equipment etc.

A 25-30hp motor would be good on a boat that size.

You're looking at around a 16-17 foot boat to sit six people and at the same time have some peace of mind that you won't be overloading the boat. With a boat that size you're looking at 50-70hp which ups the costs.

Probably most of the boats you will find for sale in these size categories will have 2 stroke engines.....they use alot more fuel that 4 strokes and require you to premix the oil in the fuel at a specific ratio, but that aside they provide more power than a comparable 4 stroke as they're lighter and rev up quicker.

Start having a look at on the classifieds, places like www.boatlinkmalta.com/boats_for_sale.html www.timesofmalta.com ,    www.di-ve.com

What's your budget? Perhaps something like this http://www.boatlinkmalta.com/jupiter-13-for-sale.html

Otherwise in terms of new boats we have some sponsors like Hitec Marine (www.hitecmarine.com.mt) and Mecca Marine (www.mecca-marine.com) who could offer you a good package on a new boat. There's also Kaptan Boats which are built locally and very sea worthy that have models in the size range you're looking for.

Skip

robby017

send me ur email address... my aunt might be selling her boat... 18foot long 140hp Nissan engine....
Scorpion 14.5 feet, Suzuki 60hp & Suzuki 6hp Aux.

Authorised & Licenced Fish Population Controller

Born to Fish, Forced to Work

Vicky

Thanks for your reply Skip. Budget is about 3000 euro. Something like the jupiter would be ideal i think. We plan on using the boat for 4 ppl but i'm assuming that on occasions we might be 6.

robby017 I think that kind of boat is outside the budget but just in case my email is vickydeg@gmail.com.

If anyone gets to hear of a boat for sale kindly let me know.

Vicky

robby017

I'm sorry but the engine alone would cost more..... The engine was bought Lm2500-Lm3000 alone.... the boat cost a further Lm3500-Lm4000
Scorpion 14.5 feet, Suzuki 60hp & Suzuki 6hp Aux.

Authorised & Licenced Fish Population Controller

Born to Fish, Forced to Work

skip

As Vicky said Rob out of her budget!