jigging in the gozo channel

Started by fisheye, April 26, 2009, 16:22:29 CET

Previous topic - Next topic

fisheye

While on the 8.15 am Gozo Ferry I noticed a boat with 2 guys practicing jigging in the channel. I am saying this maybe these guys are members in this forum and perheps can tell us how was their jigging session wheather they had any catches or any luck. The place seemed good to me and the sea was very nice. ;)
Buccaneer 147 powered by Yamaha 85

ciappinu

Are you sure they weren't jigging on the wreck? There is a wreck as soon as you go out of the jetty on the left side o the way to Gozo.
Seabrave 14 e-Tec 50hp

LapsiBoy

I think i know who they are ! because i was talking to a friend he said he was jigging and almost got run over by the gozo channel haha...but unfortunately no fish :( (Mabye wasnt him but i think so)

fisheye

No they were not on the wrecks they where closer to commino than to Malta but from the ferry boat one could see them very well, I was just curios to sea if they caught anything,
Buccaneer 147 powered by Yamaha 85

mellieha

Guys,

That is a very good area.  It is the end part of a marine reserve and also very difficult to fish in.  There is the reef that start at 24-28 meters and is totally flat.  The current is tremendous and one has to be very careful.  Just exact the gozo channel line crossing their is the reef that reaches a depth of 48-49 meters.  A sharp drop off but the reef has deep cracks in it where bottom fish can hide.

Underthere it is a cemetery for nets, longlines, cageg etc.  The current is the major victim and secondly the gozo channel line.  Fishing on this spot is next to impossible.  As what regards spearfishing I would say totally impossible although in the past I have seen people with twin sets going there.  Under the reef then start a sandy bottom.  Above the reef it is good for morey's and all the tal qieh.

Kindly keep in mind that this place is one of the most busy straits of the north and who ever goes there kindly be careful.

I have dived so much in this area that I fell it to be my sanctuary.  It has been the most difficult dives I have ever made both for the surface swim, massive decomprerssion, massive currents, and most of all level of difficulty in orientation and finding the reef from underneath.

Certainly its only a dive for the most experienced divers.  At the moment I am surely not up to it.