• Welcome to Malta Fishing Forum.

help with mullet

Started by kempy, October 14, 2006, 16:30:19 CET

Previous topic - Next topic

kempy

hi i planning to try fish for some big mullet any tips or ideas were on how to do it? ???
A bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at the office

A woman who has never seen her husband fishing,doesn't know what a patient man she married

placebo

birzebbuga just under the fish farm nets is excellent for very big mullet. if u intend going a little further out using a boat! try using running float in mid sea deep using "lixka" as bait. Do not use farka at this time since there's a huge amount of vopi which will eat away farka before it even settles.
Stay aware as sometimes mullet comes in surface to feed then you can use floating bread and controller method.
Also Ras Hanzir marsa, Msida and Pieta can be good. There's some interesting discussion in the www.ksfamalta.org webpage going on at the moment on different methods and tips on mullet.
::) ::) ::) ::) ::)
the fishing gods might have something for me tomorrow I'll be fishing

kempy

i tried today and caught one at 550g is there a good time to catch them like after a storm or some thing or morning or night

A woman who has never seen her husband fishing,doesn't know what a patient man she married

placebo

kempy, I think mullet are very impredictable.

You can have a very good time in mossy waters after some storm in surf, unclear water. I notice that sometimes it's better to leave the sea clear for sometime after storms.

but....you can catch mullet also in very clear waters using thin, florocarbon monos.

;D
the fishing gods might have something for me tomorrow I'll be fishing

The Angler

Hi Guys haven't been posting for a while.

kempy always keep in mind that mullets go crazy for high protein foods. Ex milk, blood ect. I think that when placebo mentioned the 'lixka' he meant maghgun. Near the fishfarms try a mix of (laham tas-sega) This you need to get from a local butcher. This is the frackles of meat that remain in the meat cutting machines. Add a couple of cubes of lavacheciri cheese, some sardine oil and semolina to get the right consistency. This recipe has proven to be one of the best. The only difference from this to the use of farka is that with farka you need small hooks, say 16-12 and with this you need larger hooks say 10-6.

Keep me posted.

kempy

thank you for the help will try it the next time i try to fish for them.  ;D