Fishing holidays

Started by YoOL, August 27, 2009, 20:21:16 CET

Previous topic - Next topic

YoOL

Hello,

I'm french and i will spend 2 weeks on holidays in september in Malta. As I am fond of fishing I would like to have some advices from maltese fishermen.
First of all do I need a license to fish from the shore ?
I like to fish in surfcasting. Do you know good places to cast from a beach ? what kind of bait do you use (worms,...) and where can I buy them ?
Thank you very much in anticipation for your help.

Julien

Gazzetta

First of all welcome onboard YoOL and hope you'll have a nice holiday !!  :D ;)

For shore fishing as far as I know till now there are no licenses involved.
Surf casting is most popular in the north of Malta, especially Ghadira Bay in Mellieha which probably is the biggest sand beach in Malta.
We fish a lot with worms, korean, american and also those caught locally. You can also use some squid or prawns.
Mister Fish is one of the main suppliers and also fishing tackle shop in Malta, can find his shops in Iklin, Msida and Fgura.

If you have any more quest dont hesitate to ask

Chris  8)

YoOL

Thank you Gazzetta for your answers.
Indeed I have some more questions.

I will be in the south in Birzebuggia. Are there any good places near this town ? I know you told me the best places for surfcasting are in the north nevertheless can I find beaches in the south closer to Birzebuggia ?

My equipment will be a 4 meter fishing rod and a smaller one for lure fishing. I can try other type of fishing.
What kind of assembly do you use for beach casting ? for rock casting  with worms? To avoid breaking.

Thank you again.

Julien

placebo

hi yool,

pretty bay in birzebbuga is good at this time of the year for night fishing.
surely you can enjoy some good time for breams and giltheads doing some night fishing when swimmers go out of the sea.

there is a nice sized sand beach on which you can do some light ledgering.

but i think you should forget about beachcasting at this time of the year since the weather is quite still.

you can use your 4 mtr rod with a 20-50gms ledger and use pater noster rigs or else the running ledger.

should you need more information or need some bait or equipment while you're in Birzebbuga mssg me private or else my mob is 00356 79476448

the fishing gods might have something for me tomorrow I'll be fishing

blueskip

Glad to see you haven't changed your number Adrian ;) expect a call after 23rd Sept for another trip down to the Freeport for those gars::)
Blueskip

placebo

no problem my friend it will be the same number.

see you soon
the fishing gods might have something for me tomorrow I'll be fishing

clutch_kick

if you need help, I'm from Birzebbuga too. Just PM me.
Official Molix, Major Craft, DUO and SeaSpin agent for Malta.