• Welcome to Malta Fishing Forum.

Shore fishing for Lampuki

Started by joncamilleri, October 19, 2009, 18:36:19 CET

Previous topic - Next topic

joncamilleri

Hello members

I am in Malta for 1 week (fly back to England on 25th October). Does anyone recommend any sites to fish for lampuki from the shore this week. I will be using my fly fishing equipment (dont laugh!).

Regards

Jon  Camilleri

skip

Hi Jon, from what I've read the West coast seems to be the best, but getting there by car is a bit of an art! And not easy to get down the right spot. MartinB, rammx and e-fisher are into spinning from shore and I believe MartinB for sure has tried fly fishing in the past.

Send them a Personal Message as time is a bit short maybe they can help out

joncamilleri

Thanks Skip

Going to try tomorrow from near the Blue Grotto or Ghar Lapsi unless anyone suggests different.

Regards

Jon

LapsiBoy

Find deep places mate, where the sea drops deep just at the rocks.

markcam

Jon I don't think lapsi or blue grotto will be good for lampuki.  Try further down the coast such as bahrija. 

Kevin G

markcam, bahrija is a good place for fishing lampuki but, if he doesn't have someone who show him the way he will get lost for sure.
The Sea Sweeper :D

maltembu

Quote from: Kevin G on October 20, 2009, 15:07:51 CET
markcam, bahrija is a good place for fishing lampuki but, if he doesn't have someone who show him the way he will get lost for sure.

Or hurt... Be careful, some places are quite tricky..
A woman who has never seen her husband fishing, doesn't know what a patient man she married !

There is no such thing as too much equipment.

MartinB

Quote from: maltembu on October 20, 2009, 15:27:22 CET
Quote from: Kevin G on October 20, 2009, 15:07:51 CET

Or hurt... Be careful, some places are quite tricky..
Definitly! especially this time of year!
Quote from: joncamilleri on October 19, 2009, 18:36:19 CET
Hello members

I am in Malta for 1 week (fly back to England on 25th October). Does anyone recommend any sites to fish for lampuki from the shore this week. I will be using my fly fishing equipment (dont laugh!).

Regards

Jon  Camilleri
Hi jon
Im certainly not going to laugh! You can get lampuki on fly fishing equipment and they are alot of fun too using this method! Im sorry i only just saw this post now,but to be honest with all the rough weather we have been having of late very few lampuki have been caught from the shore this last 2 weeks..at least that i know of! Basically when the 'mrejkba' guys aren't catching them,then its as good an indicator as any that there isn't that many about!! In fact even boat fisherman didn't catch many either..not that the weather permited them to go out very often!! :(

However just so you know maybe for next time you come,lampuki do come into Zurrieq (blue grotto) area at close range,but you'll only have a small chance to catch a few because a soon as the zurrieq boat fishermen realise they are there they will start dropping long lines (knuz) all over them/the place...at least they did in my past experience of that place!
Tight lines

joncamilleri

Had a look at Blue Grotto, Lapsi and Bahrija yesterday . It was too rough as you suggested. I think my luck is out this visit to Malta as weather looks bad wind wise for rest of week.

Better luck next time

Regards

Jon

robby017

why not try for saddled bream using light tackle up the east coast... from sliema up to qawra ?
Scorpion 14.5 feet, Suzuki 60hp & Suzuki 6hp Aux.

Authorised & Licenced Fish Population Controller

Born to Fish, Forced to Work

MartinB

Quote from: robby017 on October 22, 2009, 08:24:50 CET
why not try for saddled bream using light tackle up the east coast... from sliema up to qawra ?
Yep at least you'll get a chance to fish and they can be loads of fun too.I haven't fished light ledger,float or running float in AGES!! I miss it sometimes..