• Welcome to Malta Fishing Forum.

Don't you just love boats?

Started by twoutes, July 18, 2007, 09:21:57 CET

Previous topic - Next topic

twoutes

If you're anything like me, you would have to agree that its great owning a boat! Not just for fishing, but to take family and friends out for a cruise, or for a touch of water skiing. But, of course the main reason l bought a boat is to get out among some decent fish. I will show you pictures of my boats and also friends boats that l have fished out from, and would love for you to do the same. The most popular boats my friends own are trailer boats ranging from 4.7 metre up to 7metre. Most of them have outboard motors on them, but my brothers both own boats with inboard V8 'Merc cruisers' in them. Fibreglass hulls are the most common, but there is also a big range of Aluminium boats around. I'll start off with pictures of my brothers boats. Both are fibre glass. Anthony's boat is a 7.4 metre 'Sea Ray' weighing in at about 3000kg, and Michael's boat is a 6 metre 'Bertram' which is only 2000kg, both with inboard motors.
We're here for a good time...Not a long time

twoutes

Both my boats are fibre glass with outboards on them....My smaller boat is a 4.7 mere 'Stejcraft' Cuddy Cabin (1200kg) which l just had a new motor put on. It use to have a 40hp Mariner, but l burnt it out with to much trolling for marlin, so l upgraded the motor to a 70hp Mercury. My second and larger boat is a 6 metre 'Eden craft' (2500kg) which has a larger 225hp Yamaha outboard on it. In the right conditions it will get up to 100km/h. You can really feel the wind blowing through your hair!!! I use this boat for marlin fishing now because it can really handle the rougher water much better, letting us stay out longer when fishing for marlin

kempy

wow your boats are very nice you must be very proud of them
A bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at the office

A woman who has never seen her husband fishing,doesn't know what a patient man she married

twoutes

Yes l am. Thank you!!! It is very important to keep up the maintenance on a boat. Your life could depend on it. It's not like you can just get off and walk home. My boats have been apart of some happy moments for me, with some good captures. I would like to see some boat models that you guys use over there.

twoutes

Here is another boat that l have fished out of which belngs to my mate Norm Scicluna. Its a 'Haines Hunter' 580 SF with a 110hp Johnson outboard on it. It's 5.8 metres long with a fibreglass hull, and about 2000 kg. This is a very good boat to fish out of  and is very stabe under power, but tends to rock a little more than my Edencraft while trollong, l thinks thats because  l have a wider beam. GREAT BOAT!!

skip

I think for the majority of offshore fishing to be done around Malta, something in the region of 18-21 feet, Center Console fishing spec'd boat is the answer. Keep costs down with a single 150 and perhaps a backup engine on a liftable bracket. Fuel costs are kept low as well and you have the strength in these boats to head out in a Force 3 and get back no problems.

Boats from the like of Seaswirl and Hydrasports.

twoutes

Centre consoles are great when it comes to playing a fish, as you can walk or run right around the whole boat......But no protection from the elements when it picks up a bit. l can imagine waves breaking over the bow in 20 knot winds here. To me they don't seem to be a very dry boat. Not very popular here for blue water fishing, but quite a few people are using them now for fresh water fishing in lakes. Cuddy Cabins and Half Cabins l believe give you some protection.

skip

Very valid points, but the American boats especially 20ft+ all tend to have flared Carolina style hulls and in fact give a very dry ride. I don't normally fish in 20 knot winds, too uncomfortable rolling around when trolling but the issue of the elements is very valid. For me the issue is that Walkarounds or half cabins being somewhat heavy also aren't as good on fuel consumption. Around Malta one would want something that gives you a very economicial cruise and good troll. To me 50 litres an hour or even 40 isn't good enough. Max 20-25.

Skip

twoutes

As they say,'Horses for courses'. You make a good point about the flared carolina style hulls. Yes they do deflect water away from the bow, and l believe that some also have a canvas awning fitted between it and  a bow rail to give it added protection. as l mentioned great boats with room to move around the whole boat, but l still think that it would not suit my type of conditions here. How ever a friend of mine uses  this really nice boat which he can walk around for fighting fish and also gives good protection from the elements...not sure of the make though........

skip

Nice machine, and I see he has the same fish bag as me from Reliable Fishing! Looks like a sweet boat with big downriggers, outriggers and a small tower. Would be interested to know what boat it is.

Was just looking at the 2301 Walk Around Half Cabin model from Seaswirl to try and check consumption figures.

Skip

twoutes

There are many different types of boats out there, and it takes quite a bit of home work to work out which one suits your needs, conditions and desires, but as you know they can be quite costly. Check out this boat we fish from in Cairns on The Great Barrier Reef for big black marlin...it cost the owners $1,500,000 Australian dollars (About 370,500 Lm). They have got their old boat up for sale for just $300,000 (75,000Lm)....What do you think???

twoutes

If you like a lighter boat, alloy boats are the go. They are usually made from 3-5mm plate. We fished from one a while back and found it to be very good. The whole boat only weighs 1400kg, with a 150 Yamaha outboard on it. Another really nice boat

twoutes

One thing that l really like about my 'Eden Craft' is that it is set up really well for game fishing. Under floor Stainless petrol tanks and 'Kill Tanks' allow for unclutered floor space. My 'Live Bait Tank' is built into the back of the boat with even a viewing glass to check out the condition of the bait. I run it with the use of a large pump which also accomidates a 'Deck Wash'. You may also notice in the picture attached a section of the side of the boat that lifts off. This comes in really handy when we're taking a swim or hauling in a large fish.

twoutes

There's nothing better than coming home from a good days fishing to your other luxury boat!!! Boy some people really do have it tough, don't they???

kempy

im very jelous now and the more summer comes the less places there are to fish so i would even settle for a inflatable on !!!! sure is a hard life lol
A bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at the office

A woman who has never seen her husband fishing,doesn't know what a patient man she married