• Welcome to Malta Fishing Forum.

Lineaeffe

Started by skip, July 30, 2007, 19:27:34 CET

Previous topic - Next topic

skip

Have a Lineaeffe 30/50lbs reel, level drag gold look finish that my dad bought last yr as part of a deal from Pirotta. The first time we used it with a fish on the alarm broke with the small retaining screw falling into the gears and causing a horrible gridning sound. Luckily we managed to land the fish.

Was taken to Pirotta and repaired under warranty.

This year after 4 times in use, with a fish on the same thing has happened AGAIN! To me this is totally unacceptable and I would advise people to stay away from these reels as this is not the first time I've heard of this on the net. It's true I could have an unlucky reel in terms of manufacture, though I reckon then it should have been changed the first time it failed.

Would be curious to hear what other people think.

Skip

DJS

Very similar problem here as well Skip. Bought a combination rod and Lineaeffe GCT 3045 last year. Ok it was a special offer combo ... everything for Lm33. However, at the start of the season (after using it only a handful of times) I had noticed that the level-winder had corroded very badly. Tried cleaning it with WD40 and wirewool but it only partially removed the corrosion. When I took it to Pirotta's I was told that the level winder was not made of stainless steel and that it was a major operation to change it - probably costing more than the reel itself.

I guess the moral of the story is to pay a little bit extra and buy a good Penn Reel. Never had problems with this make and you can instantly feel the difference in build-quality.

Dave       
19 ft Galeon Galia with 140 hp Tohatsu

gottie

Lineaeffe are definately out for me. Had the same problems. Now would'nt use one even if it were given to me for free! I dont know why they dont use stainless steel. What do they expect customers to do. Fish in their bath tub?   If you're fishing in saltwater its definately going to turn into one piece of rust after the first few uses.

Granitu

the problem is not lineaeffe.... the problem is the retailer that actually he's selling fresh water stock as it is cheaper.... once there was this problem with yamaha outboards in malta as someone was selling fresh water stock. it is common in malta as fresh water stock is cheaper than saltwater stock, even of the same version. I checked from italy which stock is sold and there is quite a numerous freshwater stock... as if we have lakes
Good season so far.....

Simon G

unfortunatly we dont have any lakes with fish in them to use these reels in.
but if you wash the rods and reels every time you use them and dry them out and store them in a dry place you should not have too many problems.
i would still recommend spending a bit more and getting a proper salt water rod and reel as they should last much longer.
go penn 
maxxon 420 with 30hp tohatsu
profesional aquarist and under water photographer
semi profesional spearfisherman

kempy

Lineaeffe also gave me many problems. i bought a combo set and after few times of use the eyes fell out and the rell was falling to bits very time i use i for sure wont be buying any thing from them again
A bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at the office

A woman who has never seen her husband fishing,doesn't know what a patient man she married

KenChir

Same here Kempy - used my new Lineaeffe rod twice - 2 rings fell out, one cracked. I have removed all of them and intend to replace them with new ones... we'll see.

skip

I would have to say that based on the above posts, I wouldn't trust Pirotta very much. they know what the local conditions are, so why are they offering these products saying they are suitable. Doesn't fill me with much reassurance about their level of service to be honest.

Skip

DJS

Yes, I think that's a fairly conclusive thumbs down :( from the MFF on Lineaeffe reels (stupid name as well!).

Attention all Fishing tackle shops. Please note that, in this small island, your sales often depend on word of mouth about your products and your after sales service!
19 ft Galeon Galia with 140 hp Tohatsu

skip

Well said Dave. perhaps we ought to send an email to Lineaeffe with the link to this topic!

skip

Took the reel in this week and told him I wasn't very happy. Asked him to get it fixed by Friday and he's said he would try. Picked it up today, he stuck to his word. Once again the small retaining nut for the alarm had come loose so he said he put a spring washer to try and make it better. I kinda asked why isnt he using blue treadlock and was told well if it happens again we will try. Apparently he said only my reel and one other is giving the same problem.

On the plus side he didn't charge me for the repair even though its out of warranty, so there's something good to be said about that.

claudevella

I bought the combo last year too. Not only is the reel full of surface rust but the rod's top most pulley fell off.

skip

These combo's are okay for someone who goes out once or twice a year but I reckon that's about it, as you said Claude you wash your reel down and still had problems. By the way on lever drag reels, always put the drag on full when you rinse it and try not to use heavy water pressure.