• Welcome to Malta Fishing Forum.
Main Menu

MFF Club/Association

Started by The_Gaffer, April 27, 2011, 08:51:24 CET

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Gaffer

The MFF is recognised as the largest online representation of Maltese recreational fishermen.  Although we are not formally recognised by the authorities, since we are not a registered association, we do have regular meetings with various Gov departments and we are always treated with the respect which is reflective of such a large representative body of Maltese recreational fishermen deserves (e.g. Discussing and gaining buy in with FCD on the inclusion of BFT and Swordfish as permissible catch for the tournament).  To be recognised as a club or association, we need to formalise things with the competent authorities, including the MFF becoming an affiliated club with the Federation.  The MFF recognises this favourable position, and we are leveraging our strength in numbers to formalise our position.  

All 2011 Premium and VIP members of the MFF do not need to join another club as the MFF is forming its own club.  Premium and VIP members will automatically qualify for free membership to the MFF association for 2011.  In addition, VIP members will also qualify for free 2012 MFF association membership as well.  Discussions are underway between the MFF and the Federation to address this.  The association will be run by an seperate committee from the MFF.  The MFF also endeavours to pass onto the MFF association committee items purchased for last year's tournament, including a VHF, loud hailer, weighing scales ect.  The MFF will also present a donation to the MFF association to start off things.  

When we had the MFF fenkata was back in February, I had proposed the setting up of an association within the MFF.  But we do have the Oris National Big Game Tournament to cope with as well at the moment. The MFF resources are really stretched to the limit with the Tournament organisation.  However, the MFF recognises that the time is now ripe for the MFF to have its own functioning and formally recognised association, run by a seperate committee and funds.  This is being set up ASAP :) to facilitate the inclusion of the MFF association in the MFF tournament and gain recognition as a club.  

The full text of the changes will be uploaded soon by Skip.  
Beneteau Antares 9.80 - Powered by twin Volvo Penta D4 225HP
     _\____
       /___ \
___ /_____\_______
|_______________/

The_Gaffer

Do not in the least be worried by these changes.  These changes are being done to rebrand the MFF, and above all, recognise the loyalty of all Premium and VIP members who have contributed to the sustainability of the MFF as the leading online forum.  These are exciting times for the Malta Fishing Forum, and another step in our continuous journey to improve and provide added quality and value to the recreational fishing community.
     _\____
       /___ \
___ /_____\_______
|_______________/

Gogo

Well explained Gaffer. In order to be recognized as an Association, club, Federation or similar entity Maltese, as elsewhere, legistation recognises such entities ( namely NGO, non governmental organization)
once they form a governing committee with its executive President, secretary , treasurer ,their seconds and a couple of members. A statute has to be produced and obviously have members registered with the club. MFF can easily do this. Then it is up to MFF recognized club to join or not the Federation together with other local fishing clubs. One has to note that the Federation does not encroach on the committee of the clubs but simply represents all the clubs as a whole or individual clubs with the Local Authorities
according to the issue in question. As happened with BFT Tournament quota. Intervention of Federation always follows discussions with all the affiliated clubs regarding general issues or club when on local problems. Federation committee which is basically composed from two representatives from each club calls a monthly meeting and an Annual General Meeting.
Federazzjoni Sajjieda Dilettanti Maltin is the only fishing entity in Malta that is legaly recognized to have a permanent member on the Fisheries Board. Once there are MFF members in the Federation committee then the MFF club will be recognized as an NGO with representation on the Fisheries Board and can also apply for recognition with the Malta Sport Council.
I suggest that when MFF administrators consider the time is ripe for these changes, all MFF members rally with them and create an Association /Club.
The Federation will always be ready to give its advise and/ or help.

Joe Carabott Damato
Secretary  Federazzjoni.

skip

To touch on The Gaffer's last point, we will both be working hand in hand to try and get the formation of an MFF association completed as soon as possible, ideally if we manage before the Big Game Tournament that will allow MFF members to participate in the interclubs tournament once the association joins as a member club with the Federation.

We have/will be inviting people to join the committee from within the MFF, and who we hope will be interested in forming part of this new club association that will hopefully be one of the largest clubs in Malta.

I have already removed the Paypal membership button from the site today, as all membership dues will now go the MFF association and will be handled by the Association Committee Team/Treasurer.

2011 Premium and VIP members will automatically have membership within the MFF association in 2011 and current VIP members will also have the 2012 year for free.

As Gaffer stated the MFF online will endeavour to pass a financial donation to the newly created association so that they can get things going with things like €60 membership to the federation and association formation costs if any. In addition certain items purchased from last year's competition that will again be used this year in the competition will then be given to the MFF association (eg. Portable VHF, loudhailer, Weighing scales, clipboards, moneybox etc etc).

We have been discussing this extensively in the background over the past couple of weeks, but given the interclubs issue and following last night's meeting at Punch and Judy we have decided that it would be best if we try and form the association prior to the tournament.

After the tournament I will also update everyone concerning our online forum and how that will be structured, but what I can tell you at this stage is that there will be NO FEES whatsoever and the forum including the Gallery will remain open to all and completely free.

Existing VIP Members will be renamed and will continue to have access to their special boards along with their own Personal Gallery, Premium Members will also be given a slightly smaller personal gallery as well plus continued access to the special boards as a thank you for the support shown over the past couple of years. I will eventually start the process of pruning the very old photo's from the gallery or duplicates to make more room and I am confident that we will be able to enhance the server space in the future rather than reduce it as originally thought.

I will also be picking up more 20% vouchers from Misterfish as we ran out and these will be passed on to those who didn't receive them. These kind of benefits and discounts including the member card will be passed on to the MFF Association. The forum will remain as a strictly online presence, anything like activities, social events, competitions etc will be done by the association and its team.

Guys this is all a dynamic process and we are listening to feedback and doing our best to adapt as we go along. I would like the forum to continue to be the central reference point for fishing and boating in Malta, giving you all the means and tools to do this and share your experiences, and I hope to see other clubs coming along and utilising the forum to the benefit of all.

I hope that I've covered all the points at this stage, but if anyone has any questions, please feel free to ask.

Tight Lines, Skip

The_Gaffer

To further expand on our plans, I will in point form list down the major changes:

1. An association will be formed, and the official name will be 'The Malta Fishing Forum Association'
2. The association will be administered by either 5 or 7 officials, including Executive President, V. President, Secretary, Finance Secretary, Public Relations Secretary and possibly 2 other executive members
3. The association will join the Federation and 2 members from the association will sit on the Federation committee
4. The forum will continue to exist as an online community of recreational fishermen.
5. The forum will not be extending the current VIP and Premium membership status as of now
All current VIP and Premium members automatically qualify for free membership of the association for 2011. Furthermore, all current VIP members on the forum will have their association membership paid up as well for 2012.
6. Forum membership as of now is completely free, all boards will be accessable to the forum registered members later on this week
7. New members joining the association will automatically qualify for online membership within the forum and an account can be created for them or done directly by themselves.
8. The MFF will pass on to the association all items currently in possesion including a VHF, loud hailer, wieghing scales, ect.
9.A token membership fee which is yet to be decided will be levied to all new joiners of the Association.  This fee will be not more then €5 per annum.  All existing MFF paid up members join free of charge and follow the policy outlined above
10. As of now, all external activities, including Tournaments, competitions, BBQs, informative talks and get togethers are to be organised by the MFF association.

Welcome to the New Era.

Here she comes, we're on!!
Joe d' Gaffer

_\____
       /___ \
___ /_____\_______
|_______________/

Gogo

Well Done. 
We are here to help.

skip

Changes made this morning to open up online access and access to gallery.

baghira

Nick if I may ask.
Since that now everything is back to free, and the mayority of the funds the forum received was through advertising in special boards from various improters, from where woulod the new association gather its funds?
Here was much more easy since that from the amount of people that logged, one can have an idea of the impact the advert had, but now what would the association do?

Just a question!!!!
Ear Pain aaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

skip

The Club/Association will generate its revenue from Membership dues as all members of the new association will need to be a paid up member, in order for the association to quality with the Federation its reported member base must consist of paid members.

As The Gaffer mentioned, the membership fee with the association will be less than €5 per year.

The online forum will not take any membership dues whatsoever, advertising on the forum remains something that belongs to the forum. However I would like that the forum is there to support the association in various ways, including possible sponsorship during events and activities etc. What the online forum will be offering to the new association as well is a presence on the forum, their own boards etc.

Given that all current paid members on the forum will receive free membership within the association, the forum will be providing the association with a cash donation so that it can start running. Of course it will then be self sufficient as new members start to register with the club.

The Club/Association's members will also be registered on the forum (they don't have to use their online membership) but it will be created for them as a value add. Remember that the forum needs to be just an online presence and NOT a club, hence the need to create the club/association to handle all physical events, social activities etc and in order to be recognised by the Federation.

I anticipate that the new club/association will have quite a large member base as it will not be tied to a specific locality but remain open to all from Malta and Gozo.

The_Gaffer

The online Forum's first task will be to contact all members currently registered with the MFF as ordinary members to sign up for membership with the association.  Association membership will be €5 or less per annum.  Realistically, there is no decision yet on the exact fee. I'd rather leave this decision to the new committee to come up with a final figure on what the fee should be.
As soon as the Association is set up, the MFF will contribute a donation to the association to provide adequate start up funds.  Added to that there will be the drive by the MFF and association committee members to enrol as many new members as possible.  
     _\____
       /___ \
___ /_____\_______
|_______________/

Moonwalker

Good job.
But hopefully removing membership from the forum (ie funds) will not result in the degradation of the forum itself.
Also I dont like that all forum sections will be open to all. I think there should be a privilaged section for MFF club members only.
Petecraft 20 - twin Mariner 150HP EFI

skip

@Moonwalker

Julian, rest assured that the privildged boards continue to remain as is and are only accessible to current VIP members and a few less boards to the Premium Members. That has not changed and won't for the time being.

As posted above, the MFF Club Members will have their own boards as well to post in and these will be restricted to MFF Club Members only in a similar fashion to the current Privildged boards.

caldaland

if it is of any interest,i offer my bar as a venue for commitee meeting.

The_Gaffer

Well done Caldaland.  Thank you.
     _\____
       /___ \
___ /_____\_______
|_______________/

caldaland