• Welcome to Malta Fishing Forum.

New spearfisher. some questions and ideas

Started by joponen, August 19, 2011, 17:59:07 CET

Previous topic - Next topic

joponen

Hello all!

Found this forum when i googled "fishing malta" :)

Back in sweden i enjoyed shore spinning alot, and im gonna take this up here aswell!

I just recently moved to Malta and by accident me and a friend started talking about Bear Grylls. You know, the crazy british guy who eats all kinds of weird shit in "survival" situations. So we got into talking about when he speared and ate an octopus and agreed that this would indeed be something to try!

So we're gonna make a trident and go snorkeling around for some octopus, hopefully get one and BBQ it :) I actually thought this part of the forum was about SPEARfishing, that is to fish with a spear. I will def get into the whole harpoon thing once i get my ID card and can get a licence for one. Also i need to afford one, cant at the moment.

So my question i guess, is it a totally retarded idea to make your own trident and try to get some dinner with it? I dont wanna have to spend 100€ on something i can do myself in one hour.

I've been reading up on what to look for when searching for Octo dens, look for the shells and so on. Any more tips?
And say i find one, is there any particular technique i should use, or should i just thrust my spear and hope for the best?

I'm thinking to do a spear from a broomstick/floormop handle and then on the tip i will attach 3+ tips made from bamboo, fasten it tight with rope.

Any ideas and/or suggestions? Thanks alot guys!

Adin 92

Tracina

IKEA had some on special offer! Kiddin! I used to live in Stockholm and the fishing in Sweden is some of the best in the world!!! World record pike, perch, salmon etc. etc. Really jättebra.

Some might criticise me for "giving this away", but you can often recognize the octopus den as it has a tendancy to accumulate empty shells right in front of it. The mother pearl kind...

You sometimes also find the remains of crabs as they are one of their favourite foods.

Spotting them takes practice as they are masters of camouflage!

Lycka till!

ballastbelly

you cant make these things yourself. the (almost unbeliveable) strength of the octopus will break it apart.

it wont cost you 100e. with 10e you should be able to buy one & still have change to buy a diver marker buoy.
nice souvenirs to take home to sweden.

Kevin G

joponen, just buy a big hook used to tuna fishing, find someone who is a welder, and tell him to weld it with a 30cm iron rod. just find the octopus and gasp it out. when it is stuck inside hooked, just twist the rod like twisting spagetti ;) and it will come out very easily. or else just take one long deep breath and dive for it catch it with your hands.
The Sea Sweeper :D

joponen

Thanks for all your answers guys!

I still have to TRY and build my own spear :) That was kind of the whole point from the start!

If you try to grab them with your hands, wont they bite?

Also another kind of off-topic question, what colour blood do they have?? I've heard everything from blue to green to purple.

I will get back with pics hopefully :)

ballastbelly

octopus blood is blue, its copper based. human blood is red,it is iron based.   

the actual color depends on how deep you are, sea water filters out daylight which is needed to see colours correctly. even human blood will look blue below 10ft.