• Welcome to Malta Fishing Forum.

Garmin Transducer

Started by Shaftbomb, January 27, 2012, 03:44:49 CET

Previous topic - Next topic

Shaftbomb

This week i am buying a Garmin GPS/Sounder and i'm having difficulty choosing the right transducer.  Does anybody have experience with in-hull transducers?  Are they accurate?  Somebody told me that for long line fishing grounds out of Gozo i need a transducer that shoots to depths of 2500 ft, for the unit to give me accurate readings at shallower grounds.  For those of you who have through-hull transducers, should its element be tilted or straight?  I would really appreciate any help as I have to admit that i'm lost....

Granitu

technically it should be tilted to the way that the transducer sits parallel to the bottom.

But be realistic how many times you will manage to be exactly that way. The answer is never on the sea. Maybe on the hard, but not at sea. If you move around the boat, you will already be creating enough motion to lose its 'straightness'

Plus fishfinders are sonars and only really just indicative.

And careful with product specs, always reduce them by 25-30% of what stated. There is a lot of deceptive advertising out there. From my point of view Lowrace fishfinders are the best around for the results and price at the moment.
Good season so far.....

baghira

Make sure that the unit is capable and powerful for the transducer that you are going to buy.
Otherwise you will be spending money uselessly.
Ear Pain aaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

shanook

the transducer should be pointing directly down. with inhull u dont touch the transducer but u cut the box that it sits in. The bottom of this box is cut parallel to the bottom of ur boat where u are going to place ur transducer so that when u mount it it is shooting directly underneath the boat. if u google inhull transducers you will get a load of information on installation.
If u can afford it buy the strongest (most powerful) transducer that the unit can support, this way u will always get the best results.
I also think that at the moment the lowrance are the best Sonars.

yogi

i will not advise a garmin , i have a 5265 combined to an airmar transducer 2k the largest compatible to this model., i have to say that i am not happy, after some time the gps was not working well and medcoms change it but still i can not make it work properly ,

yogi

Shaftbomb

Yogi,
My mind was on the Garmin 526s.  But yesterday i was speaking with a Garmin marine international representative and he told me that the unit supports a transducer that reaches approximately 1800ft.  A local fisherman told me that to do some serious long line fishing or some electric reel use - i need something that reacher 2500ft.  I do not know if the the 2500ft depth range is correct as I have never been to such depths with an electric reel on any reef.  However for a 2500ft depth range I would have to buy a 4000 series garmin which doesn't seem to match my budget.
I'm looking at Simrad too.... 
Any ideas - comments - suggestions would really be helpful......

yogi

shaftbomb not even in 1800ft of depth will work well, i am telling you so you dont waste ur money,,  the 4000 series are for commercial fisherman an pros , any ways depends on your budged

caldaland

have a chat with ken of camilleri marine in gzira.

EmicMalta

busumark

my friend has the Lowrance HDS 7 with the 1 KW inhull transducerwe went to 2200 ft and it gave us the reading . you have to adjust well the settings

bigboy

For some seriuos fishing i would consider Lowrance Furuno and Koden !!!

Furuno and Koden were always preferred models by profesional fishermen ;)

Shaftbomb

Thanks for your opinions, ideas and thoughts.

Granitu

ps. when using fishfinders, never use authomatic gain and range.

Using authomatic adjustments you will only manage to get 30-40% of the fishfinder potential.

Use the range and gain wisely ;)

If you fiddle around you will manage to get the best use of a fishfinder.

With a garmin 400c i easily manage to read 100m deep, the signal starts to be a little faded but you can get a view of the bottom structure. I manage to spot fish up to 70-80m any deeper I need a stronger signal.

For deep sea fishing lowrance for its prices have a real gem of fishfinder. You can always go to a professional setup, if budget permits.
Good season so far.....

Shaftbomb

The unit I put my eyes on right now is the new Simrad NSE but i will have to wait quite a bit for it as it is not in my price range.  However I will buy the Garmin 526 as my new GPS unit.