HELP AND ADVICE NEEDED FOR SHORE FISHING

Started by robbygee, February 11, 2008, 16:36:31 CET

Previous topic - Next topic

fava

i use a 25mm line, Mustad hook size 9 minalijja; using a 4m rod.   it was about 8am when i started seeing those mulllet!...

those mullet were not big...around 13cm length...

btw people... where is    Tal Farka  ???     

hehe thnks
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Teach him how to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

Men and fish are alike.  They both get into trouble when they open their mouths

Albatross 390 powered by Suzuki 15Hp

Granitu

thee line is too thick! let us begin from there. i normally fish mullet with 0.12 in ports,sometimes even with 0.1 ad flurocarbon. there is no way he will bite under those conditions unless in a storm.....
as to the hooks, you need a small one...
rods it is open to options but 1 would suggest a 7mt and telescopic for a hand rod or a bolongese rod so as to absorb the fighting of the fish because you wll be fishing with thin line. like this coupled with some ground bait and farka you have a hig degree of success. Then of cousre they need to be present...
Good season so far.....

fava

ohh great granitu...

.12 irqiq...worth the risk nahseb imma!
heh
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Teach him how to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

The_Gaffer

Fava,

Tal-farka is not a place, but a technique used in the preparation of a Maltese loaf for bait.  Boil some water, and throw in a Maltese loaf into the boiling weater...let it simmer for a while.  Then peel off the crust, and there you have it...Now for the tricky part.  Baiting the hook with tal farka is not easy.  You have to peel off a slice of bread from the loaf and wrap it around the hook, taking care not to break up the slice....I would suggest wrapping some fine elastic bait holder around the bread, to keep it on the hook.  An alternative, is using the bread the traditional way.  Leave some Maltese bread on the roof to go stale, but don't let it mould.  Preparation: wet the bread in a buket for some time, and preceed to peel of the crust.  get an old cooton fabric and place the bread onto the fabric, and wring out the water.  Proceed to work in the bread using the palm and fingers of the hand.  Once mashed up, take special care that the bread is not tacky make sure no bread comes off onto your hands when working the bread.  No for the specials!!! ;D...you can add processed cheese, not too much.  Another way of preparing the bread is to add some processed meat, like corned beef.  My Dad used to raid the fridge for any left overs and throw aways and add that to the casting bait (Ghalf)
Beneteau Antares 9.80 - Powered by twin Volvo Penta D4 225HP
     _\____
       /___ \
___ /_____\_______
|_______________/

fava

thanks the_gaffer for your special reply...
i will surely try the farka... found on another part of mff that milk too can be added to strengthen the scent of the bait. i never tried processed meat but corned beef proved that is quite a good option to try!
proteins proteins proteins fish like mullet would surely want!!

great forum! keep up the good work all fishermen and admins!

if i may ask....just an opinion skip.., could you make a forum that speaks only on sargi or mullet, eg bait, lures, places, good times for catching,......

still you've made a well organised forum! :) :)

skip

Certaintly something that can be considered Fava. It could be a sub board under inshore fishing in Malta if more people request it. Otherwise I suggest you start a topic, All About Catching Sargi and All About Catching Mullet so you can get things going. We can always split the topics and posts later on.

fava

oki sure skip....when i will have some time..... will start something(although i'm a bit new in this forum) ..cos now i'm abit busy..

tancred

Quote from: robbygee on February 12, 2008, 09:50:18 CET
thanks a lot for the info

what is the best technique to fish for awrat

regards
robert

You can try fishing for awrat using pole, float and maggots in harbour areas. Add some maggots to you ghalf. Fish about 20cm above the bottom. Be patient; don't strike as soon as float moves. Let it sink for a few seconds. Good luck.

The_Gaffer

You've propbably heard all this before, but the best time to fish for awrat is just after a high wind storm.  Usually, some awrat manage to escape from the fish farm nets, or better still, the netting enclosing the awrat gives way, and most of the fish swim towards the shore.  keep your ears to the ground and listen for stories circulating that awrat have escaped from the fish farms sprutting all over Malta.  Then, using the fishing techniques very well described by Tancred,  search for the best location and do some quality fishing!!
Beneteau Antares 9.80 - Powered by twin Volvo Penta D4 225HP
     _\____
       /___ \
___ /_____\_______
|_______________/