• Welcome to Malta Fishing Forum.

Do you catch flatfish in Malta?

Started by blueskip, July 14, 2008, 13:25:39 CET

Previous topic - Next topic

blueskip

I have been reading all the posts with great interest, (both shore & boat), & I have made plans to bring so much equipment with me in September, that I may not have room for any clothes ;)
Although I have seen several species of flatfish featured in thumbnails, nobody seems to mention they have caught any, if you have sand or muddy/sandy bottom anywhere around the island, then there must be flatfish around there, (or do the trawlers scoop them all up)? >:(
I enjoy flattie fishing in the UK, & they often make the difference between "blanking", or catching. I intend to spin for whatever I can get, & I intend trying for mullet with breadflake under a controller float, I was wondering whether it was worth putting out a running ledger with ragworm on it onto the sand for flatfish, or am I being a dullhead? :-[ :-[
blueskip
Blueskip

ciappinu

Hi Blueskip,

Catching any species of flat fish from the shore in Malta is very rare nowadays. 30 years ago they used to catch plenty, however nowadays, sadly, there are few left. You will need to get a little further out by boat. Your best bet from shore is the Bugibba Coast road, just under the Rubbish Dump.

Fishing for Mullet could be rewarding, but if you are coming in September, I strongly suggest spinning from Blata tal-Melh. Check out Martin B's Post, he is the king of the rock for spinning! Gozo Qbajjar is also top for spinning.

Seabrave 14 e-Tec 50hp

blueskip

Thank you ciappinu for that information, I have looked at Google Earth, & I see that Blata is on the other side of the island, but I'm sure I can get to it. Never had any luck with the rubbish tip at Buggiba (maybe they have disguised it from the satellites view), but I'm sure my nose will lead me to it once I get close enough.
I have e-mailed MartinB to see if I can pick his brains. ;)
blueskip
Blueskip