• Welcome to Malta Fishing Forum.

Visiting 9/14-20

Started by jdr724, July 21, 2008, 03:14:34 CET

Previous topic - Next topic

jdr724

Hello,
I will be visiting during September 14-20th and like to know about the shore fishing opportunities.  I have searched however require more information if possible.

I will be bringing 2 rods with reels.  One 9ft, 1-3oz and one 7ft, 1/2-2oz.

Any information on the predominant gamefish which can be caught using artificial baits from shore either by day or night would be greatly appreciated.

I have ALOT of metal baits, plastic crankbaits, soft plastic baits and wooden plugs for striped bass fishing and would bring them if they will be effective.  I can also purchase any others which prove more effective.

I also mention I will stay at Radisson hotel near Gnejna Bay.  Nearbye opportunities are best.

Your responses are greatly appreciated.

JohnR

blueskip

JohnR
It would appear from the info I have, that your gear will be ok for barracuda, (which seem to be in plague proportions around the Island), your 9ft would be fine for using breadflake on a controller float, in shallow water in the harbours, where Burgerking & Macdonalds are???? you can catch mullet & bass (probably from small discards).
However if you want bigger stuff, you have to go to the west of the island, to the deep rock marks around Wied iz-zurrieq (Blue Grotto) use a beachcaster & some heavy sinking Dexter Wedges or Kosters, for small tuna & dorado that come in close there. ;)
blueskip
Blueskip

placebo

guys it's not easy to catch dorado and tuna from shore. you should consider yourself very lucky if u do so. although a lot of maltese do so but they work on a lot of experience and it's not easy i can assure you. We use very primitive but effective techniques which are impossible to describe here on the net.

i advice you to focus more on light ledgering or float fishing during a short stay.

should you need more info while u are in malta i can always give you some tips and even meet if u like. my phone is 00356 79476448 feel free to contact.

As regarding spinning from shores you can get some poppers, divers and other lures and try for barracudas in either dusk or dawn. As i explained before it's only that short moment during the day when you have the best chance to do some good spinning.

good luch during the stay and have fun. Feel free to contact and if i am available i will always help.
the fishing gods might have something for me tomorrow I'll be fishing

jdr724

Thanks to both for your replies.

I'll need to stay near the resort Radisson and prefer to cast around the bay and nearbye shoreline rocks at dawn and dusk for barracuda.

Is the barracuda fishing any good in this area?

Will yozuri minnows, mag minnows, mag darters and surface poppers be good baits.  I'm guessing something with reflective tape?

Will I need fluorocarbon line because of the clear water?  I guess I will need steel leaders for these fish.  Any recommendations?

Thanks agian for all your replies,

John

placebo

yes get a few different lures in the 10gm - 15gm range.

i've tried successfully yozuri minnows and surface poppers.

fluorocarbon will do some more magic! but no need to use steel leaders when lure fishing.

the type of barracuda in our seas does not swallow the whole lure. most of the times it is caught by the end triple hook on lure so no use for steel wire.

there are some fellows here using steel ... but i never did and have never had my line cut due to lure swallowing!
the fishing gods might have something for me tomorrow I'll be fishing