What is the best way to prepare gambli for long casting?

Started by intermilan, September 12, 2008, 09:29:10 CET

Previous topic - Next topic

intermilan

What is the best way to prepare gambli for long casting? I mean, so when you cast you dont end up seeing it fly another direction ;D

I remember in  Canada they used to get salmon eggs and put them in these small mesh transparent nets and tie them and when you cast everything stays in one place and they dont fall off as easy, even after a strike. Obviously you would have to prepare them the night before.

Would this be a good idea?

Some examples:
http://www.outdoorsniagara.com/eggsacs.htm

Lamacca

what i ve heard some people do is drying them in rocksalt so that they get more rubbery
13 Foot Seastar 400 (bahri kind of)
15hp Suzuki
3.5hp Seagull 40+ Longshaft  (Yes it works , yes it leaks oil)
3.0hp Seagull 40  Longshaft 60 years and it's my best one !
1.5hp Seagull 40- extra short shaft
5 hp Gutbrod Short shaft Air cooled.

intermilan

One I dried them, but they came to brittle. Do you know this process to make them rubbery? or does anybody else know ???

placebo

use running ledger method instead of the usual pater noster rig! This enables you to cast longer without the bait pulled off the hook.

Always use a baitholder hook in such cases (hook with 2 small gills)

in such cases i prefer to use the small shrimps not the red frozen ones.
the fishing gods might have something for me tomorrow I'll be fishing

LapsiBoy

why dont you try using clamari instead of gambli ! clamari is much more rubbery and impossible to fall of ! and personally i think it is better bait then gambli :)

intermilan

Clamari is good as well, but I always thought gambli are better :-\

LapsiBoy

everyone has a different opinion all i can say is that whenever i went i caught as much as the people fishing with gambli but after all your going to be fishing :P

intermilan

Simon G

i use to dry them in a mixture of salt and sugar they will be dehydrated but once back in the water they go soft again
maxxon 420 with 30hp tohatsu
profesional aquarist and under water photographer
semi profesional spearfisherman

fishfinder

As Simon said , I use to add sugar and they get harder and we used them from cliffs as well. The only problem is that you get surrounded with mosquitos and sticky handsĀ  :o
Kaptan Leisure with Suzuki DF115 4 stroke

Freeman

Imo rocksalt is the best way to make bait harder, especially frozen shrimps since they are so brittle when used after defrosted. I used to prepare shrimps with sugar but than I read from this forum that rocksalt gives better results, and idd it does. Skin the shrimps put them on a dry towel, add a shitload of rocksalt, wrap in the towel and leave them in the fridge overnight, the result will be a 10x stronger bait.