• Welcome to Malta Fishing Forum.

tips and advice needed pls. thanks

Started by kenneth, July 31, 2006, 10:30:45 CET

Previous topic - Next topic

kenneth

Hello, I am Kenneth and I really enjoy fishing, i have gone fishing with my father since i was young but all we used to catch were small fish from the shore, and maybe some bigger fish with the reel, now we would like to try new places were to fish and catch bigger and more challinging fish, we do not use a boat we fish from the shore. Any one can help me on this query please, thanks in advance
If one fails, no need to worry keep trying until you succeed

KenChir

I would suggest Tax Xbiex (near black pearl) as a starting point if you plan on using a reel and rod. Its easily accessible and you can catch some nice size fish if you gear up right.

I go dusk or dawn and use Hanex (imperjal and 'tal-kaxxa') and bread. Always have some fun when I go. Gilthead Bream (awrat), Xilep and the odd Amberjack (cervjol) are what you typically catch from there.

kenneth

Tanks for the worthy advidce, do you know where I can buy the hanex of imperial please, cause receently i bought some in a box and they were very thin. Do you think shrimps would do the trick ?

ciappinu

Hniex ta l-Imperial is the best for night fishing. There is a Pet Shop in Kalkara that sells them very cheap. Last we bought was Lm2, which is very cheap for us people here in the North! I tried many different baits in the night, only Hniex ta l-Imperial produced good results.

During the day Shrimps, Korean Worms, lacci, snails, bread, are all good, depends what you're looking for. Whole small Shrimps that you catch on the rocks with a net are very good.
Seabrave 14 e-Tec 50hp

kenneth

Ok then, but the problem is that I dont know what bait to use, becasue I dont know what the fish like to eat best.

I usually use shrimps that i buy from the fish shops or market and recently I decided to try hniex, and i bought those from Japan or Korea im not sure and they were okej but not amazing.

Simon G

It really depends on what fish you are targetting
eg if you go for wild awrat in ta xbiex i recommend hniex tal imperjal (king rag worm) or tal pallella .
if you are fishing on sand or silty bottom eg pieta next to the patrol boats i would use ckall (crayfish)
for the night.
the best thing you can do is to tell us what fish you are targetting and we will help you select the proper bait and location.
just open a posting with the name of the fish
Simon G
maxxon 420 with 30hp tohatsu
profesional aquarist and under water photographer
semi profesional spearfisherman

kenneth

Yesterday I went to Ta Xbiex and I started fishing with shrimps, a mixture I made consisting of bread and "awrofak" and I also tried using hniex.

The shrimps were of no success, only some small "xilep" were caught with the small rod. I caught a small scorfna with the mixture, and no success with the hniex.

Simon G

what time did you go fishing and till what time did you stay
what thickness of line where you using ? :-\
maxxon 420 with 30hp tohatsu
profesional aquarist and under water photographer
semi profesional spearfisherman