• Welcome to Malta Fishing Forum.

Why Buy a VHF?

Started by skip, May 05, 2006, 20:34:31 CET

Previous topic - Next topic

Spirit of Jason

I am new to sea/boat fishing as some of you know.
I bought a new fixed VHF for the SOJ, for everyday use, I also bought a handheld water proof unit that I keep on the boat, for emergencies.
If we ever have a serious accident, while out at sea and get seperated from the boat, for what ever reason, the handheld unit, will be clipped on my life jacket, so that I will have communication, with other boats in the area.
Hopefully I will never have to use it, but it is there just in case.

Russ

Spirit of Jason

One other quick question, if I am steaming out of Tax'biex. Going fishing for a few hours, do I have to inform Valleta Port  Control that I am going out, or is it more of a courtisy call, when I am going out or coming back in to the same location.

benri

Technically yes - You should inform VPC on your way out, your intentions and once again on your way in.
I'd rather be fishing.....

skip

If they answer you!! They should have a dedicated team of Radio Operators for the leisure sector. Frankly I find it a disgrace when calling 6-10 times from right under their radio tower on the way out and you don't get an answer. Explains why most people don't bother.

You are more likely to get an answer and well within your rights to call them on Ch. 16 and then they'll instruct you to move over to a working channel

Spirit of Jason

Yes Skip, I fully agree with you, I have called them on several ocasions, with no answer, thinking my radio was on the blink and I was right under their tower.

shanook

I dont think a spare VHF attached to ur life jacket will be any serious use. It will definitely help but an EPIRB is what u should be looking at. It relays a distress call and ur position, which is continuously updated, even if u lose consciousness thy will still get to u. With a handheld VHF u might pick up a boat close to u but its not an easy matter to get them to ur position. I had a distress call from a boat when fishing for Alungi (20miles out) he thought I was a friend of his as my boat looks similar. I was not sure whether he was hailing me or someone else and it took me some time to realise and find him out, He ran out of diesel.
Imagine u are in the water, and calling a boat which u can see in the distance how are u going to explain that u are addressing him. 'I mean u boat out there going inland, (there could be dozens of boats going inland). think about it.

Moonwalker

Any recommendation for a home base VHF to  communicate when out at sea?
Petecraft 20 - twin Mariner 150HP EFI

bigboy

most important is to have a good arial moonwalker and not the vhf!!!

I'd go for a lawrance or icom though

LapsiBoy

Ahna blicom nahdmu u qatt ma sibna problemi..

skip

For home base (do you mean one at your house or fixed on your boat?) either a good well tuned Dipole Antenna aligned vertically and pointing in the general direction where you tend to be (West Coast) maximum elevation possible above your roof, one single cable run (keep as short as possible). Slightly better but more complicated to build is a groundplane antenna.

ICOM, Raymarine, Standard Horizon (Yaesu) all very good - I like the pricing on the Standard Horizon kit from Fabian Enterprises

Moonwalker

Home base I mean at home (house roof).
The VHF does not need to be water proof or rust proof since it will not see and sea water.
The antenna seems to be the trick for long distance transmission. So those with a home base VHF can post the type of antenna and reliable transmission distance?

caldaland

Moonwalker

I am a diy man but free time is 0 these days. So something ready made is what I am looking for