• Welcome to Malta Fishing Forum.

Spearfishing forbiden zones

Started by mpm, February 25, 2017, 18:22:16 CET

Previous topic - Next topic

mpm

Hello,
I am planing my holiday in April on Malta, i want to take my spearfishing equipment i checked all regulations and rules in Your country, i know all wrecks locations etc, but i have a litlle problem with finding a map with actual MEPA zones... i found this map: http://www.um.edu.mt/__data/assets/image/0009/170496/maltesempas.jpg
Could You tell me please, if spearfishing is illegal in all zones marked on pink? I have rented the apartment near Bugibba, so in the middle of biggest zone :/
If its not Could You please mark me areas in which spearfishing is forbiden?

jeju

Spear fishing is illegal:

- At night (anywhere)
- With scuba equipment (anywhere/anytime)
- Around almost all Maltese wrecks (these are considered tourist attractions)
- Around the island of Filfla (its a marine conservation area)
- In certain (obvious) areas that might be dangerous like next to areas used for shipping/ferries, next to slipways, next to sewage outflows, etc

The marine protected areas shown on the map are protected from other commercial activities, not spearfishing. There are conservation areas apart from Filfla in th eNW side of the island but I am not sure whether you can spearfish.

In addition you cannot sell fish caught while spearfishing. There are also size limitations on certain types of fish.

To be honest I don't know whether I would go through the hassle of carrying your spearfishing kit over if I were you. There are a few places where you can get a decent catch but they are difficult to find.

mpm

Thank You for Your respond, honestly i'm ok if i didnt catch anything, there are still restaurants around :) Im not the type of guy that will shoot on sight any fish. It's more about the hunt than catch :)

bahri

I would also not recommend that you bring your spearfishing equipment either! You need to keep in mind that the water temperature at that time of the year is ca. 16deg so you would need to cart along your 5mm/7mm wetsuit + vest + weights etc unless you rent it all out in which case it would pay you to go scuba diving which gives a better buzz than the hunting!!!

borowil

Hi. Someone can confirm this information: "marine protected areas shown on the map are protected from other commercial activities, not spearfishing" ?