• Welcome to Malta Fishing Forum.

spearguns :)

Started by big one, November 30, 2008, 08:57:20 CET

Previous topic - Next topic

big one

hi
I need a new spear gun around 60 or 70 but it has to be good ,not sure if with bands or air (never had air ones  before ) so if you have any suggestions I be happy.

I already have a spore sub 75 and I think its a viper but I hate it cos it always fills with water , I tried to fix it in every way but still after some time it start to fill again .

my other spear gun is a 120 totem sub and I can say that its like a Swiss clock . its made of wood and normally it has two bands but some times I take one of when I stay close to rocks . its power is incredible even with one band .

i will try to attach a pic of it

fabrizioviper

The viper you mentioned is an exellent gun , i have a 75cm , and used to fish with the 90 cm viper for more than 15 yrs with incredibly good results , under rocks and in the open sea , now i m using the black blade 100cm  by effesub  and im very happy with it. maybe you need to change the rubber of your viper found in the inside of the barrel , it keeps water out when you tighten the screws , as regards pneumatic guns you better dont think about them , loads of expenses and maintenance which is not worth it. Im interested at seeing a picture of your wooden gun . thanks.
If I give you a fish I'll be feeding you once, if i'll show you how I caught it I'll be feeding you for ever.

big one

Quote from: fabrizioviper on November 30, 2008, 15:31:25 CET
The viper you mentioned is an exellent gun , i have a 75cm , and used to fish with the 90 cm viper for more than 15 yrs with incredibly good results , under rocks and in the open sea , now i m using the black blade 100cm  by effesub  and im very happy with it. maybe you need to change the rubber of your viper found in the inside of the barrel , it keeps water out when you tighten the screws , as regards pneumatic guns you better dont think about them , loads of expenses and maintenance which is not worth it. Im interested at seeing a picture of your wooden gun . thanks.

ichanged the rubber but still the same . i think it has a crack or some thing i cant see cos as i said i tryed to fix it but all for nothing .

there is a doc attached which it has the pics in it, not sure if it can be seen .

charlie

i use the Apache from Cressi i have one 75 and the other 90 . for me they are the best the 90 is about 17 years old that i am using it . the elastic i use on them are the H.Dessault ones. forget the air ones

Granitu

glad to see we aren't the only ones with a totem... we have 2 the 100 pelagos twin version... i bought it this summer

too bad for the other gun.... guess that its fishing life is over.. don't try to load that gun if it has cracks, it can be dangerous
Good season so far.....

big one

Quote from: Granitu on December 01, 2008, 08:58:32 CET
glad to see we aren't the only ones with a totem... we have 2 the 100 pelagos twin version... i bought it this summer

too bad for the other gun.... guess that its fishing life is over.. don't try to load that gun if it has cracks, it can be dangerous

my is a tahiti 120 . did you get it from malta ?
if i find a totem guizzo 80 from malta i sure get it but i dont know any shop which gets them , i had to get my from italy .

Granitu

nice mate, we were going to get a tahiti but we always fish in aspetto and agguato.. according to fabrizio d agnano tahiti are predominantly caduta guns

no totem guns are not available in malta, you have to get it from italy mate if you want a guizzo....
Good season so far.....

big one

i have to think about it cos i had to do lots of paper work to get it , import licence and somthing else which i dont remember .

toni t

If I can give my opinion..........the viper remains one of the best guns ever as Fabrizio said........also the Apache mentioned by Charlie.....I have used the viper 75 and 90 for the past 14 yrs since i started and will not change them for anything; usually my 120 carbon gun remains at home. Unfortunately looks like both of them are no longer being manufactured although looking around it is still possible to find them, especially the viper.

VIper had a problem of flooding sometimes; what you have to do is open it up, fill with expansion foam and then seal the ends (head and butt) with silicone. I did it and have never had any more issues. You should try it out.

Totem are not suitable for cave or rock fishing especially 100/120 and over...even more with 2 bands; they are strictly for agguato or aspetto or caduta.

Airguns are more fastidious and have to be take care of unless of course you would like to experiment.

One last point: one should try to improve his technique since if you know what you are doing there is no need for 2 rubber guns in Malta, one rubber is enough and if your technique is good either the fish or you will close the distance and a normal gun will be enough (75 to 100) .......unless of course you are fishing for tuna ;D ....guns this size allow you to change technique from open water to cave and vice versa in the same dive if required without catching the rocks as well ;D

big one

expansion foam  is a good idea , i may try it .

dont get me wrong , i did not say that the viper was a bad gun cos i was happy with it for some years but when it started to get water in and tryed all that i could think of to fix it and he kept drinking  ;) i gave up . but now there is some hope again , so tomorrow i get the expansion foam .

tanx mate

baghira

Toni t gave you a good option. Yo have to try it. I do not know about buoyancy then, but worth a try. Viper I got the 90, and its a very good and hard wearing gun. Its easy to disassemble, and also you can easily remove the plastic sleeve, to see if the aluminium barrel has got any damages(or corrosion maybe).
About some other issues, I do not totally agree with you toni.
Ear Pain aaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

toni t

Hey baghira..no problem mate what I said is only how I see it...everybody has his own preferences and one should follow his instincts ;)

Re buoyancy since its a short gun it should not influence a lot in handling..at least for me it did not.....but its not a destructive modification and the foam can be removed....but at least Big one can try it out before spending money on a new gun

EmicMalta

I had one it on the same gun (60cm) and worked well.

Simon G

hi guys i use a viper 115 for most of the year i find it to be a very precice and reliable i also use a omer excalibur 90 a aquatica 90 a spora sub 75 a seac 60 and a mares 50 depending an what type of fishing i do.
i also use a 106 woody by leli brillient gum but trigger tends to lock up due to wear and tear but apart from that brilliant gun.
regards the viper you should see air bubbles coming out from where the water is coming in.
maxxon 420 with 30hp tohatsu
profesional aquarist and under water photographer
semi profesional spearfisherman

big one

yesterday I got the expansion foam  so to fix the viper . when I opened it ( viper) I saw some corrosion on the inside about 6in from the front , when I opened it last time before summer there were no corrosion . then I took of the black plastic cover and I found the leak. it was a crack like which is now corroded too . I don't know how it cracked cos I cant remember that I ever did something to cause it . so now my viper is rip ,

do I have to take it to the police so that they can remove it from my license ???