• Welcome to Malta Fishing Forum.
Main Menu

Registering of boat

Started by simonc, May 09, 2011, 12:22:04 CET

Previous topic - Next topic

simonc

Hi Everyone,

last week I tried registering my boat and was given a very hard time. The outboard was previously registered on an MFC boat. When i Came to register with S registration they asked me for an Affitavit from the previuos owner that the motor was cancelled from MFC and sold to me, and previous documentation regarding registration of the motor with MFC, also they want id card copies of both owners, photos of hull id and boat. builders certificate and insurance. What I cant understand is if the motor was previuosly registered with MFC, can't they use this documentation and trasfer it to S. It's caused so much inconvenience and hassle that it's unbelievable and time consuming. I have already wasted a day's leave now and the previuos owner has to take leave to go make an affitavit. Does any one know if all these procedures are necessary. I mean all documentation already exist in the relative departments involved???

shanook

SIMONC

WELCOME TO MALTA................

Swordfish

Since Simon brought this subject i also would like to ask several questions regarding Registration of Boats, so will ask here and no need to open up a new thread. I hope it is okay with the person who opened it but i guess we can all learn from each other.

So as some know i have bought the Quicksilver 470 boat and was thinking to register the boat with the MFC because i will be using the boat mainly for fishing. However i happened to meet with a person from this forums and he tells me that to register the boat with the MFC i would have to pay 200 maltese liri and then a normal fee license every year. Is this the case? And did i get the abbreviation right? Does MFC stand for registering the boat for fishing? With and MFC license can i use the Fisheries Conservation Zone? I believe that with the S license i can only use the boat from the Baseline till the Territorial Seas and it is illegal to cross that line.. Is this the case? Another question is, if i decide to register the boat with an S do i get hassled from people see me fishing since an S is not used for fishing? I ask this question to learn and decide what to register the boat and most importantly i do not want hassles or people look at me as if i am murdering some one... I am not looking for trouble and i wanna enjoy the boat...

Thanks

busumark

Swordfish with MFC or S you can fish with the same methods. To register as S you pay 50 euro registration and then the annual fee depends on the horsepower of the motor and MFC you have to pay 466 euro for registration and than an annual license of 23 euro.

With MFC you can go out 3 miles and if you have a registered VHF you can go out to 12 miles. with an S registration you can go out till 12 miles with VHF. To go out more than 12 miles the boat has to be at least 6 meters long and register it as Valletta.

Swordfish

Quote from: busumark on May 09, 2011, 13:58:18 CET
Swordfish with MFC or S you can fish with the same methods. To register as S you pay 50 euro registration and then the annual fee depends on the horsepower of the motor and MFC you have to pay 466 euro for registration and than an annual license of 23 euro.

With MFC you can go out 3 miles and if you have a registered VHF you can go out to 12 miles. with an S registration you can go out till 12 miles with VHF. To go out more than 12 miles the boat has to be at least 6 meters long and register it as Valletta.

Thanks so that clarifies my situation. So will go cheaper and register the boat with an S if you can still fish. I will have a built in President VHF on board so i guess i can go out up to 12miles... However please, what did you mean a registered VHF? Do i have to register the console or when you buy this it just random? Do you have to pay?

robby017

better read the outcome of our discussion with the fisheries as this was discussed with them...
Scorpion 14.5 feet, Suzuki 60hp & Suzuki 6hp Aux.

Authorised & Licenced Fish Population Controller

Born to Fish, Forced to Work

Swordfish

Quote from: robby017 on May 09, 2011, 14:42:05 CET
better read the outcome of our discussion with the fisheries as this was discussed with them...

Huh?? Didn't understand!!

fisheye

your VHF needs to be registered by the MCA (Malta communication authority) and it will be registered with the boat. You will have to pay 55ewros and you will be assigned a call sign and given an MMSI number. The MCA is at Valletta waterfront Pinto wharf, Valletta.
Buccaneer 147 powered by Yamaha 85

Swordfish

Quote from: fisheye on May 09, 2011, 14:48:09 CET
your VHF needs to be registered by the MCA (Malta communication authority) and it will be registered with the boat. You will have to pay 55ewros and you will be assigned a call sign and given an MMSI number. The MCA is at Valletta waterfront Pinto wharf, Valletta.

robby017

QuoteI would like to thank Mark and Joseph from the FCD for taking the time out of their busy schedules after hours to discuss both current and future legislation concerning fishing, for listening to our concerns and for noting the feedback presented. It was also a great opportunity to further enhance the collaboration between the MFF and the Federation that continues to pave the way for future developments.

- 100hp outboard issue on MFC will be looked into

- Swordfish, confirmed no minimum size at the moment (so please think about conservation and ethics) but you must contact a landing officer four hours in advance and go to one of the 4 designation landing zones

- Bluefin, no fishing near farms, catch and release permitted with no extra authorisations. Allocated for recreational quota licence will this year still be limited to 18 on a random lottery basis from those who applied, and they will receive 100kgs each. Next year we would like to see an increased quota for recreational and the entire quota shared between all those who apply for the permit rather than individually allocated quota

- BFT, we pointed out that the reason why recreational fishermen in Italy can land 1 tuna per trip is because the majority percentage of the country's quota is given to the recreational sector as the main stakeholders as the country generates more revenue from boating, tackle and associated expenditure rather than commercial fishing

- Currently no fishing distinction between MFC and S , the only distinctions are those imposed my Transport Malta on distance and safety specifications versus those imposed by Fisheries. (eg you can have an MFC boat of 5m but registered for max 6nm due to the safety equipment it carries, whereas S is permitted to 12nm)

- S registered boat, whether 4meters or 15m cannot leave territorial waters 12nm

- Valletta registered boats are min 6m and can leave the 12nm zone and fish with no additional permits or requirements beyond those of their insurance company and TM

- MFC register is still currently closed for transfers but open to brand new boats until matters are sorted out between Fisheries Register and TM

my concern is the last sentance....... until matters are sorted out between Fisheries Register and TM

full thread is here : http://maltafishingforum.com/talk/index.php/topic,3523.30.html

Swordfish

Quote from: robby017 on May 09, 2011, 16:09:40 CET
QuoteI would like to thank Mark and Joseph from the FCD for taking the time out of their busy schedules after hours to discuss both current and future legislation concerning fishing, for listening to our concerns and for noting the feedback presented. It was also a great opportunity to further enhance the collaboration between the MFF and the Federation that continues to pave the way for future developments.

- 100hp outboard issue on MFC will be looked into

- Swordfish, confirmed no minimum size at the moment (so please think about conservation and ethics) but you must contact a landing officer four hours in advance and go to one of the 4 designation landing zones

- Bluefin, no fishing near farms, catch and release permitted with no extra authorisations. Allocated for recreational quota licence will this year still be limited to 18 on a random lottery basis from those who applied, and they will receive 100kgs each. Next year we would like to see an increased quota for recreational and the entire quota shared between all those who apply for the permit rather than individually allocated quota

- BFT, we pointed out that the reason why recreational fishermen in Italy can land 1 tuna per trip is because the majority percentage of the country's quota is given to the recreational sector as the main stakeholders as the country generates more revenue from boating, tackle and associated expenditure rather than commercial fishing

- Currently no fishing distinction between MFC and S , the only distinctions are those imposed my Transport Malta on distance and safety specifications versus those imposed by Fisheries. (eg you can have an MFC boat of 5m but registered for max 6nm due to the safety equipment it carries, whereas S is permitted to 12nm)

- S registered boat, whether 4meters or 15m cannot leave territorial waters 12nm

- Valletta registered boats are min 6m and can leave the 12nm zone and fish with no additional permits or requirements beyond those of their insurance company and TM

- MFC register is still currently closed for transfers but open to brand new boats until matters are sorted out between Fisheries Register and TM

my concern is the last sentance....... until matters are sorted out between Fisheries Register and TM

full thread is here : http://maltafishingforum.com/talk/index.php/topic,3523.30.html

Hmm interesting... Somehow i must have missed this as i would have attended the meeting. Things like this i would have done a mass private message to everyone uses this forum. I have run several websites and am very familiar with Vbulletin forums so if this website ever gets changed to Vbulletin i can always help out.

Anyways, yes Rob that last sentence also concerns me because as i see it, things will change. What i mean is there is not much difference atm from being an S and an MFC registered boat unless you want to leave the 12nm. So for those first time boaters these little things gets confusing. In my personal opinion there should be one or another because this is all a big confusion. Things i didn't understand are: what is TM?  And what about Filfla? Is it a NON fishing zone, or you can fish but no anchoring? On my Iphone i downloaded a program from Navionics which tells you were not to fish and were cabels are etc around Malta however i ain't gonna be looking at my mobile all the time while i am on board... My question is how will you know were it is restricted and were it is not?

oh and leaving the 12nm is crazy as none seems to check. I know people who went to Sicily using only Jet-skies... :P

The_Gaffer

Swordfish, pity you could not attend the meeting.  it was publicised here on the forum for a long time.  most of your questions are answered in the threaqd that Robby017 referred you too.  If in any doubt, just ask.  I'm sure you're also aware that the MFF will soon be having its own club/association.  We are encouraging all MFF members to join this entity.  More info can be obtained from the relative thread. 
Beneteau Antares 9.80 - Powered by twin Volvo Penta D4 225HP
     _\____
       /___ \
___ /_____\_______
|_______________/

visa

Hey Shanook and the others, some sort of control has to be exercised as otherwise it will be a free for all to rob your outboard and or boat  and have it regestered without any problem? , i bought a boat long time ago and when i went to pay the licence fee found out that the boat had a false number , was stolen about 3 years before, u can imanagen the problems this guy had (lucklie i had not yet paid him, to make matters worse the outboard was also stolen from another boat.
so there is a reason.
RASCALA 24ft. with DF225 hp SUZUKI v6 4 stroke

shanook

Agreed Visa and its good to do things prperly but there is a limit to everything........Why does one have to go two three times to a gov. dept to get things done.

robby017

QuoteOn my Iphone i downloaded a program from Navionics which tells you were not to fish and were cabels are etc around Malta however i ain't gonna be looking at my mobile all the time while i am on board... My question is how will you know were it is restricted and were it is not?

the map on your gps will highlight them mate ;-)